gene

Mugged
Genes pov

Maybe if I wasn't sick that day nothing would have happened. Or maybe I could have been with them. I had the flu and was quarantined alone in my room. "Gene honey your father and your sisters and I are going across the street well be back soon ok?" I heard mom knock on my door. I could only hum in reply. "Do you need anything before we leave?" She offered. "No." "Ok, we're going love you bye." The last words I heard from her. I heard the front door shut and tried to fall back asleep. A few minutes after they left I could hear faint screams but i though nothing of it in my drozy state. It wasn't until I heard close sirens that I went to take a peek. Even as I walked to the window I felt like I was dreaming. I saw some people being taken in an ambulance from my window but i didn't know it was them. Not until teddy came to get me to take me to the hospital. They were dead when we arrived there though. I had to hear it from some doctor. And I wasn't allowed to see them because I had the flu. I was excluded from my family. I wasn't allowed to say my goodbyes. The next day I was still sick and thought maybe what I thought of was a fever dream until I saw teddy sitting alone in my kitchen. I don't think I could really process that they were dead, they had to come back right? They can't just leave me can they? I just need to wait for them to come back. That's all. Could I have even saved them from that fate? Would me going have made a difference? Or maybe if I had just checked at the first signs of screams. I wish it wasn't them. Teddy was sitting staring at what remained of them. Mom and Tina's broken glasses, and Louise's, stained, but not ripped, hat. I sat across from him and stared too. I need to fix these, it's all that's left I need to fix them. I hand cleaned Louise's hat and left it to dry while I plopped out moms lenses and entered new ones. Tina's were prescribed though so I had nothing to replace hers with. I tried guys. I cried while fixing them, to the best of my abilities. I feel like crap, both because of the flu and because I'm alone now. It's just me in this whole apartment. This isn't an apartment for its an apartment for five and right now four of them are missing. I haven't taken my medicine yet, but that requires food, and I can't eat at this time. The guilt is enough to feed me. So What do i do now? I think teddy knows I'm sick because he's been keeping his distance. Is he my new guardian? I don't want a new guardian I want my parents. The people who loved and supported me no matter what, that's who I want. I end up taking a bath and crying. Mom loved baths. She loved spa days and relaxing. But she would hate this bath. It's not a good mood for her. I wonder where they are now? Are they watching me? Or perhaps up there where people speak of paradise. I hope it's nice for them. I would feel awful if they died and were left alone to Rot. I only leave the tub when my stomach is screaming at me to eat, but i only have the energy to eat a banana. It's enough to take my flu medicine though. I only have two days left worth of meds anyway according to the bottle. I try to watch tv to take my mind off the pain I feel just to see a news report on their death.

"On Monday night a family was mugged and killed here on ocean Avenue. The family was seen walking across from the restaurant that they own and forced into an alley. The family screamed for help but it did not arrive on time and they died on route to the hospital. The belcher family held love for bob belcher, and linda belcher the parents, and their two daughters, louise belcher and tina belcher. There is a third child who was not there the night of the event and lived. Police have been checking security cameras and found footage of the killer. If you see this man, Luke falter, please report him to the police immediately. If you have any tips on his whereabouts please call the tip line. We here at channel 19 send our condolences to the rest of the belcher family. If you would like to donate to their funeral you can here at: gofundme/belcherfamilyfuneral.com. A kind soul started it just this morning to help as they could. The goal is 10,000."

I pull out the family laptop and start doing research. First I looked up this luke guy who only had Facebook. Turns out he worked at some lawn mowing company. Second I looked up the go fund me website. 200$/10000$ had been reached. 200 in a day is a lot but i doubt it would be enough to pay for a funeral in just a few days. I haven't even thought about planning one and I don't want too. I just turn the tv off and go to my room struggling to fall asleep when I know I might not wake up.