Preview

Harry trailed behind Ron and Hermione, looking more like a zombie than a person. It was three days since Sirius had died and he hadn't even tried to sleep. Ron and Hermione were extremely worried about him, Ron doing his best not to let Harry be alone for very long. It didn't help that the school year was ending soon, which always made Harry isolate himself.

"Hey, mate, you should really go to Mme Pomfrey." Ron said, his eyebrows knitted together in worry.

The pair of them had tried to convince Harry to get treatment, or at least talk to Mme Pomfrey, every day. He never went, and only seemed to be getting worse. He barely paid attention in class or did any homework, narrowly avoiding many detentions only with Hermione's help. He still seemed like he was waiting for Sirius' ghost to come, but it wasn't going to happen.

"I'm fine." Harry said, his eyes dull and looking dead.

The Hospital Wing seemed to be the only place Harry wouldn't follow them to; they had tried a few times and Harry would just stop, or wander off on his own.

"No, you're really not Harry. Please." Hermione begged for the umpteenth time.

"I said I'm fine." Harry was a little more forceful, but it still wasn't convincing.

As they approached the bottom of the stairs they overheard a fight that sounded like it was between some third years. It wasn't clear what it was about or what caused it, but it was nearly lunch and there would be other Prefects around either now or before long. There would also be teachers there.

With a soft hoot Hedwig landed on Harry's shoulder. It was no longer uncommon to see the large snowy owl flying through the castle looking for Harry or on his shoulder. She rarely had a letter for him, but she seemed to provide him with more comfort than anyone else could. This time though she did.

Harry opened the letter as he turned the corner at the bottom of the stairs, not paying attention to the yelling. Harry looked up to Hedwig's screech as he opened the letter, seeing Ron and Hermione starting to rush back towards him and a spell hurtling it's way right at him.

The spell hit Harry square in the chest, winding him and making him need to lean against the wall to support himself and catch his breath. He had no clue what the spell was, but it hurt like a bitch, feeling like a Dudley had punched him with full strength. Hedwig was holding onto his shoulder by the wall, but her talons were much tighter than they were before.

"Hey mate, you good?"

Harry knew that voice.

He whirled around to face the person whose hand was on his shoulder, his green eyes wide. That was Sirius' voice, but it couldn't be. Sirius never called him Mate, that was Ron's thing, and besides ghosts couldn't touch people. Harry didn't care too much though, it meant that Sirius did come back for him.

Sure enough it was Sirius, but it wasn't a ghost.

16 year old Sirius was smiling at him, alive and well, though he looked a little confused seeing Harry's eyes, with Remus beside him, looking just as confused.

"James? You did something to change your eye colour?" Remus asked, looking confused and a little disappointed with him. That made Harry's heart drop in a way he didn't completely understand.

"Sorry, I'm not James." Harry said, trying to smile as he backed away.

It was odd. Seeing Sirius again - what he had been wanting so desperately that he half convinced himself he had seen the ghost of the man out of the corner of his eye - was now he actually saw Sirius Harry just felt the need to run.

"Padfoot, Moony, what are you two doing?" James asked with a laugh in his voice, walking over to the two with Peter beside him.

James' arrival made the hand on Harry's shoulder let go, allowing Harry to slip away. He had always been fast, he had to be to get away from Dudley, so he got rather a lot of distance between them quickly, pulling out the invisibility cloak, covering himself and Hedwig with it. He probably shouldn't have run away, but he wasn't going to be able to explain anything he didn't understand himself. He also might find himself attacking Peter which would only make the rest of them hate him.