Chapter 6. It Was a Graveyard Smash!

PRETTY SICK!
— it was a graveyard smash! ☆

PRETTY SICK!— it was a graveyard smash! ☆

Angie felt like she was drowning, swimming in a sea of her peers and trying to stay afloat as she bounced along to the loud music

The alcohol she kept pouring down her throat had lost its sting, and instead replaced itself with a dull throbbing nausea that made her head spin and blur in sync with the jumping party-goers. They crowded every room and spilled out into the yard, each clad in some stupid costume they had planned for a ridiculous amount of time — unlike Angie, who threw on an old ballet costume (which was a bedazzled white dress.) and a pair of angel wings she found shoved in her mother's things.

Halloween in Hawkins was a time where Angie felt like it was the most reasonable time to call the place home. Everyone used it as an excuse to throw the biggest party they could muster, a "rager", like they called every single celebration before that — and it was stupid, but the entire student body packed into one averagely sized house somehow made it feel more like a community. Like she belonged there.

Shout at the Devil blared throughout the house, loud enough it shook the walls and floor, but that also could've been the alcohol that made her steps go in a wobbly fashion; not like that stopped her from making several trips to the punch bowl though, which was filled with... well, something, no one Angie asked knew the answer, it seemed. Steve might have known, he called himself the drink connoisseur (—along with several other dramatically flattering nicknames), and the blonde believed that there was some truth to that name. Being The King of Hawkins gave you a rite of passage to the hottest of parties, with the coolest of people, and definitely the most booze.

Crowds parted for him, or, they used to. Angie took a longer amount of time than expected to find where he was dancing, which he stayed near the front of the house with Nancy by his side, who was noticeably more drunk than he was, but not as far gone as Angie yet.

Yet, because it looked like she was downing another drink as the other girl approached. "Harrington!" she greeted (cool people called each other by their last names, right?), an intoxicated smile graced her glossy pink lips and she threw her hands in the air as she screamed over the music, "I don't know why I don't listen to you more — I'm having so much fun!"