Chapter 7. Allen Street

PRETTY SICK!
— allen street ☆

PRETTY SICK!— allen street ☆

Hawkins never slept

Hawkins never slept. Not in the sense that Vegas or New York never slept, but in a much more homely sense — people spent their sleepless nights in the arms of another sleepless individual, or they hopped fences with their friends and avoided the blinding flashlights that belonged to the Hawkins PD. Late night car rides were a crucial piece to the restless town, once you were too tired to hide from the cops, but not tired enough to sleep. Steve and Angie did it often when Steve got his license.

It felt nostalgic to be back in his brown BMW, the one his dad gifted to him for his 16th birthday as a "Sorry for neglecting you, here's a car." type of present. He was so excited to drive it around, he always let Angie sit in the front with him, though he claimed she would need a booster seat or else they would get pulled over. Angie used to get so mad.

Used to. Instead of half-hearted bickering, or screaming to whatever music Steve had — they sat in silence, except for the sound of Angie puking her guts out into a bag that he'd given her, or the occasional sniffle that came from Steve, which Angie pretended to not hear. Her head lolled to the side and stared out of the passenger window, and she blinked slowly as she watched the houses fly by. The window was partially open, and it whistled as they whizzed past Angie's neighborhood and onto the main road of Hawkins.

Confused, she looked at him and frowned. "I'm getting you something at the gas station," Steve answered before she could ask. "I don't want you to faint when you wake up tomorrow, or if you forget to eat or something."

"Thanks," Angie muttered, breathy and groggy from the alcohol. She winced and lifted her hand to her eyes as the bright buzzing lights of the gas station came into view. Her head spun unpleasantly, and she opted to sit out on the curb instead of making the treacherous trek into the gas station, which stood a measly few feet away.

The cool concrete against the bottom of her butt and thighs made her shiver, tucking her arms around herself. She wished that she toughed it out and went inside with Steve, it didn't help that she felt like something lurked around every corner, like a serial killer or kidnapper or something more inhuman. Her lips twitched downwards for a moment as she thought about all of the people that disappeared out of thin air, and how each of them appeared to be gone in a matter of minutes.