Chapter 12. A Collective Sigh of Reluctance

PRETTY SICK!
— a collective sigh of reluctance ☆

PRETTY SICK!— a collective sigh of reluctance ☆

Some things just weren't meant to be: oil and water, left and right, parallel lines — they all existed on the same plain, but they were never meant to co-exist together

Some things just weren't meant to be: oil and water, left and right, parallel lines — they all existed on the same plain, but they were never meant to co-exist together. They would never fully combine, always on their own paths, but still appeared to be a pair.

That's how it was supposed to be for Gen and Boris Papalosky. They were meant to keep each other at arm's length, just in case. Both were taught from a young age that letting your walls down for someone, anyone, meant that-that was a weakness and it would be exploited whether you liked it or not. They, of course, came from different backgrounds — Boris, one of poverty in a small village as he worked his way up through buttering up to the KGB — and Gen, given up to a facility by her parents who didn't want nor knew how to take care of a supernatural lab baby.

Presumably.

When they paired them together to find out what the hell those idiot Americans were up to, they expected them to keep each other circumvented as they did what they were trained to do. Find information. Take out anyone who got in your way. Simple instructions, really, as neither of them appeared to get along, but were both proficient in their jobs. Boris lied well, he smoothly talked his way through issues and adopted the American lifestyle as a way to "blend in more". Though, it was obvious he secretly enjoyed it. As for Gen, she was neither convincing nor charming enough to do what Boris did, instead she opted to muscle her way into conflict and use brute force to get what she wanted.

(It was faster that way.)

Their employers didn't seem to understand human nature and what would happen when they placed two previously isolated people on a year and a half long road trip together, not to mention generally unsupervised.

Although Boris was a finicky man, one who worked for his personal gain only, and rarely cared about Gen's feelings unless he could get something out of it; Gen and Boris became friends, in a way, she stopped hitting him when he would give her pats on the shoulder, and he never mentioned the looks that she gave to the American women on magazines and billboards whenever they made pit stops.