𝑖𝑣.

the worst monsters
are in your mind ❜❜

_______

DEDICATED TO THE LOVELY altaccount507
FOR ALWAYS COMMENTING AND BEING HERE FROM THE START! EVEN THOUGH IT HASN'T EVEN BEEN THAT LONG.

_______

CHAPTER iv. fuck family

I was still in extreme shock and anger after the announcement of the third quarter quell that day. I knew Snow was pissed at me by the way I had ruined my apartment, but did I care? Fuck no. He can shove those emerald walls up his ass.

It was currently the morning of the reaping for the third quarter quell. I was still in distress from the announcement, but it made me feel better knowing there was many other victors of District 1. At least I had a chance.

I was staying in a cosy, wood built cottage at the entrance of the town. Next to it was a large lake with a spraying fountain right in the centre of it.

As I dressed into casual baggy jeans and a grey jacket, my mind wandered off to Katniss.

It was obvious she was the one going into the games again, but Peeta? I knew Haymitch was the only other victor of District 12 so who knows, it could be either of them.

Either way, I didn't give two shits. If I was to be picked for the tribute of District 1, then I will be prepared. I will have a strategy and a plan to survive. I won't let it ruin me again, and I definitely won't let Snow see me break.

_______

Ten minutes. Ten minutes until the tributes to compete in the 75th hunger games will be revealed. I briskly put on my emerald necklaces, earrings and bracelet. If I was the one to be sent on a suicide mission to kill 23 kids, then I was going to do while looking pretty.

And I couldn't let Snow think I was weaker than that, than the games and tributes. I will prove to every single fucking person in these districts that no one has ever overpowered me, and no one ever will.

Not even that seaweed prick from District 4. I decided to not dress up for the reaping, for I really didn't care. After gulping down some water to refresh my dry, hoarse throat, I put on my black converse shoes and slammed the front door shut.

Peacekeepers were loaded everywhere around the town, more than usual. District 1 had an extremely strict defence system, which meant that loads of peacekeepers flooded the place, guarding and defending everything in this precious town.

I headed towards the wide, freshly mown field. I could already see everyone situated in order on the bleachers. All eyes were towards the large screen on the right, which was next to the set-up stage.

Shit. I'm late already?

I jogged past the bleachers without anyone noticing me, heading straight for the stage. My two-sided braids flung over my shoulder with every step.