The Shopkeeper

After leaving the village, Scrim managed to leave the protective overhang of the forest he called his home. He knew of other villages and other individuals that existed outside of his own, but had never explored them because of the constant fear of the withering illness. The forest was his safe haven, and even when the village was struck by the withering, it was always within the comfort of their own home and all that they were familiar with.

And even if that logic had its own flaws, it was quite true. While Scrim was determined to save his mother and his village, the thought lingered within the back of his mind. What if he fell ill? What if the darkness took him in an unfamiliar place? What if he never saw his mother again? What would he do?... Would anyone care? Would anyone care for him if he fell ill? What if he withered away in a street, alone?

It was all a chance he would take.

These thoughts raced through his head as he approached an unfamiliar village. He had passed through a couple small sparsely populated towns in his journey so far, but this one he was approaching seemed full of life. Chattering could be heard from the outskirts of the town, various voices announcing their goods for sale, as well as music! Scrim eagerly approached the strange town.

He grasped his satchel, walking slowly through the stone streets, taking in the sights of the almost industrial-like buildings that loomed over him. Pipes adorned the buildings, obviously being used to power the town. Glass roofs met in curved and triangular shapes on most of the buildings. As Scrim glanced into them, he saw a plethora of fresh grown food and herbs. His eyes widened in amazement, having never seen much beyond dying dried herbs he and his mum used for their healing magic.

Scrim walks in the streets of the strange town

Little to his knowledge, as he was struck with awe by his surroundings, a couple of shady figures and beetles nearby were watching him.

One of them, an elder flower, smoked his pipe in amusement.

"Aye, lads, looks like we've got a bit of a tourist.", he chuckled in a gruff voice.

"Yeah, but do you think he's got anything on him?", one of the cloaked beetles inquired.

"Well, my dear friend, that's why we rob them and then ask questions later.", the elder flower said.

Gesturing to his comrades to follow, he began to approach Scrim.

Slinging an arm around the little flower's shoulders, he threw on a friendly attitude.

"Well well, looks like you're not from around here."

Scrim jumped, but a small smile appeared on his face as he assumed the stranger was friendly.

"Yeah! You're right sir! How did you know?"

"It's not every day we get a lad like you wandering around these streets like a little kid in a toy shop."