New Yet... Not?

[Continuing back where we left off with Scrim and Cal. They are just setting off on their journey to find the celestials, and answers to their questions about themselves as well.]

Leaving the town was strange to Cal. Somewhere deep in their heart, they knew it wasn't their home. Their home was somewhere else, they just didn't know where.

As Scrim and Cal walked along the desolate path leading out of town, the crunch of dead leaves beneath their feet was the only thing that filled the silence of their surroundings.

Scrim glanced back at the shopkeeper, off put by their silent daze at the ground, watching mindlessly as the leaves cracked beneath their feet.

"Lost in thought?..."

Cal jumped at Scrim's question.

"Haha... I suppose y'could say that."

"Y'know... my mum and I always walked around the forest like this back in my village. I don't know what the realm looked like when everything was alive and the seasons changed, but she does! She was a lot younger when it was like that, but she would still tell me stories about how the trees and roots would blossom, bringing little glowy red berry plants out of the ground."

Scrim ran over to one of the nearest tree roots, continuing to talk about his mother's flourishing memories, despite the hibernation of the plants around him.

"She said that when you would eat them, they would tingle your mouth and make your teeth glow, and that the animals that would run through the forest loved to eat them. They had giant insect ears, with floating necks and tails connected by the magic from the celestials..."

Cal's eyes lit up as they watched Scrim tell his mother's story.

It was all new information to them... yet somehow... it wasn't.

"They always loved a scratch on their chin. And if y'fed them some of the berries... they would curl up next to you and sleep...", they mumbled, somehow elaborating on the vision Scrim was decribing.

Scrim turned around to look at Cal in awe.

"So you were there too? When the realms were alive?"

Cal wavered in their steps for a moment, bringing a hand up to their forehead in confusion.

"No... no I wasn't... I shouldn't know that. But... I do somehow??"

"That would mean you'd have to be as old as my mum-- and she's really old! And you look young!!"

Cal felt their head spin. A fuzzy surge of images and memories filled their head, confusing them even further. These memories, although familiar, felt as if they didn't belong to them.

"Let's... let's keep going. We'll find some place to rest once we've gone a bit further.", Cal said, ignoring the feeling and changing the subject.

Scrim watched Cal continue to walk on the messy path, staring at them in awe and confusion, wondering what secrets they were hiding. 

The creature surrounded by the red berry plants as described from Scrim's Mum's memories