Chapter 9. The piggyback

(A/N: Grab ur tissues friends.)

"I wanna run through it one more time." Nancy says, turning to the rest of the group. "Phase 1."

"We meet Erica at the playground. She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready."

"Phase 2."

"Max baits Vecna. He'll go after her which will put him in his trance."

"Phase 3?"

"Me and Eddie draw the bats away."

"4."

"We head into Vecna's hopefully newly bat-free lair and...flambé." Robin smiles a little. "You forgot the part where we were all insane for thinking this will work." Beatrix smiles sarcastically. "We have to try." Dustin tells her.

"Nobody moves on to the next phase until we've all copied." Nancy says, drawing the attention back to her. "Nobody deviates from the plan, no matter what. Got it?"

"Got it." The group agrees in unison, heading out the door. Beatrix stops Eddie by the wrist and pulls him backwards. "You sure you can do this?" She asks, referencing his burnt hand. "Onlly stung a little but, babe. Love is pain isn't it?"

"Eddie, how can I imagine myself with you when all I do is hurt you?" She asks, voice cracking a little bit. "Hey, look at me, I love your fire, ok? Its one of the best parts of you because it displays how naturally brave you are. The fire you hold in your hands is the same one that burns in your heart." He promises, holding either side of her face. "I know because I've been in there."

"Where?" She asks, confused. "In your heart. This burn that you gave me, it chains us together. I can feel you." He smiles. "Can you feel me?"

"I think- I think I can." She smiles weakly. "Good, be good. For me, ok? Remember that date we're gonna have? My button up and your-"

"Tight red dress?"

"Yeah. You're hair done up-"

"Expensive jewelry."

"All dolled up."

"Just for you." She chuckles. "We're gonna make that date, ok? I promise." He smiles, looking into her eyes before kissing her. Taking advantage of the little time they had left. She puts her forehead against his, choosing to savor this little moment.

"Can you keep a secret?" Eddie asks, meeting her eyes, all though it was hard not to with the close proximity they were in. "Maybe." She smiles a little. "I think i'm falling in love with-"

"-don't say that." Her smile drops. "Tell me when I deserve it, tell me after I burn the hell out of that son of a bitch. Tell me when we were on that date, no more than a scratch on each of us. Tell me then?" Beatrix asks. "I will." Eddie promises. Kissing her for the very last time.

█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█ ◈ █▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█

"See you later." Beatrix casually announces, turning around to walk off. "Is that all I get?" Eddie asks behind her. "I already told you we're not saying goodbye, no idea why you're still on that, Munson." She smiles. "Sorry, guess I'm just a tiny bit worried about you, Vesta."

"Well don't be, catch you after." She shrugs, backing away from him. "Yeah." He agrees as the four other teenagers set off, a strange sense of destiny in their step.

█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█ ◈ █▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█

"Holy shit that was awesome." Beatrix says as she steps over a few vines. "Ok we get it, you have a super awesome metal boyfriend." Nancy rolls her eyes. "Shut up Nance." She retorts back. "Ok. We made it." The girl exhales as she fumbles with her hands. "You ready?" Steve asks.