Chapter #3 Mission to the Waves

It's been three months since Kakashi passed Team 7, and every day was the same routine. They would all meet at Training Ground 7, all at different times, first Sasuke, then Naruto, then Sakura, then after three hours of complaints by Sakura and defense by Naruto, Kakashi would show up giving a lame unbelievable excuse that Naruto would find funny and difficult to not laugh at. After a few teamwork exercises, Kakashi would give each student an individual task to better themselves, for Sakura it was expanding her Chakra reserves, for Naruto it was controlling his reserves, for Sasuke, it was expanding and controlling his reserves. After a couple of hours of doing that, Team 7 went to the Hokage tower and took a mission. D-Ranks, much to Naruto and Sasuke's dismay. After catching the 'Demon Cat of Konoha' as he called it, for the tenth time, Naruto had enough.

"Sensei?" The blonde called out to his hero, as Sasuke and Sakura tried to calm the Demonic feline down as they made their way to return it to its owner. The gray-haired Jonin looked up from his book and looked the blonde in his eyes, the hopeful expression in them telling the Hatake what his student was going to ask, but he decided to humor him, nonetheless.

"Yes, Naruto?" He asked giving the blonde his full attention, making him shift uncertainly as if he was embarrassed by the attention his sensei giving him.

"I was just wondering, how many more of these D-Ranks do we need to complete before we can take a C-Rank. Do you think we're ready by now? We've been training hard, dattebayo." Kakashi smiled at Naruto's verbal tick, he really did take after his mother in personality. Naruto tried acting more mature, making him look more like his father, but his mother sometimes came out of him when he was nervous or excited.

"Hmm. I'll keep your statement noted, Naruto. For now, let's complete the mission. Okay?" He gave his student a closed-eye smile. When he reopened his eye, he saw Naruto's eyes brighten, he was very happy and excited, but desperately holding it in. Kakashi had scolded him the last time he let his excitement overflow.

When they got to the tower, a large woman snatched the cat from Sakura's grasp and... suffocated it? The woman paid the Hokage and left with the cat screeching its pleas for help.

"Now, next mission for Team 7..." Kakashi cleared his throat to get the Hokage's attention before he started going through available missions. The Hokage looked up at the Jonin.

"Yes, Kakashi?"

"Hokage-Sama. I believe that my team is ready to partake in a C-Rank mission. They could probably do well in a B-Rank as well, but let's not risk it. They've shown teamwork satisfactory for me to request a higher rank mission." The Hokage scratched his chin thoughtfully, making the Genins hold their breath momentarily.

"Well, if you believe them ready. I have a C-Rank that I was going to assign to Gai's Genin team once they returned, but I'll give it to yours instead." Kakashi sweatdropped at that. 'Great, another reason to have Gai bother me about that stupid rivalry.'

"Much thanks, Hokage-Sama." The Sarutobi held up his hand as he had an Anbu fetch the client as he filled them in on what the mission was, a drunk old man staggered in a few minutes later.

"Wha...I asked for ninjas...not brats. Look at them...they all look weak, especially the two masked weirdos. Are they real shinobi?" The temperature in the room dropped as Naruto glared at the old man who seemed to have sobered up immediately.

"Insult us 'brats' all you want, you'll probably be right. But don't you dare insult Kakashi-Sensei, or insinuate that he's weak, or on our level, he's the strongest and best ninja you'll ever meet. He can beat anyone in anything on his worst day. You should show more respect to the man that's helping you, as our sensei, he could easily have denied taking this mission, whether your land lives or dies probably makes no difference to him."