iii - insensitive

CHAPTER THREE

Sorrow whipped through June like a harsh breeze. She was nearing closer to the beach, nothing in the place her heart was meant to be.

Numb would be the word to describe this monster that consumed her soul. Woven between everything good in her life were venomous leeches slowly sucking her blood till she shriveled up onto the ground like a limp ribbon.

When she reached the place Rafe had suggested to meet up. Her body sank onto a wooden bench, leaning back as the heel of her shoes dug into the tawny sand.

She flipped her wrist to check the time, she'd arrived seven minutes early. She traced the outline of his phone. She switched sides on the bench. She allowed her intrusive thoughts to take over and went through his phone.

And found nothing interesting so she looked up at the ether. The sun peeking out between the cotton clouds. The fresh air. She took in the view, watched as the waves slowly rose then swallowed itself. Crawling over and drenching the sand. Her eyes drifted and she waited.

He was late.

Doubt planted itself in her mind at that moment. She wondered if he'd even show up, if he was too hungover from the night before or if he'd mixed up the location with another place. She closed her eyes.

June gently dipped herself in thoughts that made her homesick. Thinking of everyone back home made her miss the simpler times where everything was black and white.

And she didn't have to worry about bills or about building connections and caring for others as well as herself. Mom used to be the one who took care of her.

June might've needed therapy.

"Wake up," a smoky voice that was barely above what would be considered a whisper urged delicately. Her next breath was stuck in her throat as she swiftly fluttered her eyes open. Wide eyes staring back at a bewildered yet slightly delighted Rafe. The corner of his lips twitched at her nerves.

He wore a sweater with the outline of two mushrooms as the design along with round glasses that reminded June of Harry Potter.

"Glad you could make it, Harry," she snarked, quite irritated because of his previous absence.

He laughed one of those breathy laughs but it was cut off as soon as it was put into motion, "you must've missed me a lot."

"Too much.

"Then this must be quite thrilling for you."

"Very."

June detested him, that much was clear. Her life felt like a joke. Bad fortune sticking to her like a parasite. She'd thought she could've at least kept the memory of Aaron safe, he was someone untouchable in her mind. Something normal that she could think back on without feeling embarrassed.

Though she had sobbed to him, he'd done the same. They were even, equals in that sense.

Rafe stretched out his hand that was curled around her phone, they both had the same model hence the mixup. Sitting down beside her when she took it from him eagerly, his thigh pressing against her own.

June sent him a concerned glare when he began languidly stretching his body on the bench. He smelled faintly of peppermint. "What are you doing?"

"Hm?" He side-eyed her blankly before tilting his head and facing her. A slow blink. "We're not going to talk about it?"

"About what?"

He gave her a sly look which irked her. "Now?" she added.

He shrugged. "There's no better time than the present."

"Are you always so inspirational?"

"No, only for you."

"Am I supposed to feel special?"

"So many questions," he drawled, shaking his head of brown wisps of hair while clicking his tongue in faux disappointment. Bent thoughts spilled into her mind, eyes darkening. He didn't recognize that look in her gaze as blood-thirst and continued to push her buttons even further.

"Naming your snake after me, now that- I'm flattered, really."

"It's not even your real name." The hold on her phone tightened.

He ignored her. "I mean, after having one interaction. It's sort of psychotic."

"Oh- fuck you, like seriously." She stood up onto her feet, turning away as tears of anger and betrayal clouded her vision.

He placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, attempting to twist her to look at him. "I'm just teasing-"

"Well, it's not funny. You insensitive prick," she spat, pulling away from his touch.

Narrowing his eyes. "Why are you acting like something happened between us that night?"

"Would you call what went down nothing?" June knew she shouldn't have asked, it would only hurt her in the end. Inquisitiveness drove all to insanity.

"All we did was dance, June." The usage of her true name taunted her. An ineffable need to turn around and capture the image of him as the lost boy she had met years ago filled her.

Before the perfectly flawed image would shatter once her brain registered that the look in his stare wasn't jesting nor dishonest. She couldn't bare it, she couldn't look.

In the past, she'd ponder whether or not Aaron would think of her too. This was her answer. He was too drunk to even remember what happened that night.

She hated him.

For forgetting. For existing. For deceiving her without even meaning to. For making her life feel like a joke for the thousandth time today. He was the worst even if he couldn't control it. Even if he didn't know.

"Go fuck yourself."