EPILOGUE

'What's your biggest fear, Alara?'

'I don't know, maybe drowning? What about you?'

'Being buried alive, I think. Or like when you survive a horrific tragedy that leaves you limbless or fucked up in some way, I don't think I'd want to live after that.'

JUNE
BEFORE

'Remember, June. You owe me a favor," Henry said, head tipped back against the wall of his flat. Placing a cigarette between his lips, and flicking out his lighter.

Her brows knit as she lifted her head from her lap. "I do?" she questioned.

He took a drag on his cigarette. Nodding. "Three years ago, I gave you dirt on Wren for a favor."

June deflated. "Oh." She fixed her posture. "Took you long enough. What do you need me to do?"

'I need you to frame Juliette when the time comes," Henry voiced casually, it was anything but casual, it was violent and inhumane, and it was like she wasn't able to coexist with the foundation and structure of the phrase his tongue had somehow fully curled around. Her heart sank beyond the Earths core, he'd practically asked her to betray her own blood.

At her quietness, he continued, "you have no choice. If you don't. I'll go to jail. And If that happens, I'm taking you with me."

June launched to her feet, muscles taut. "Are you toying with me? You are, aren't you? You're fucking sick in the head, Henry. I promise you if you ever-"

"Shut it," he commanded, cutting in before she can threaten him.

"Why?" she cried out.

He said nothing.

Her throat constricted.

She shook her head, swallowing hard. "Tell me you're lying. Tell me this is just a sick joke, please." She kneeled down at his feet. Looking up at him with eyes glazed over with tears. "Please, Henry."

Henry rolled his eyes. "Don't be pathetic, and stand."

But she felt herself melting.

"Henry," she whispered.

In these final moments, his name served to be a plea.

"Juliette wants it herself. She wants to go in my stead, so she will."

June grew silent.

Quiet.

"You're lying," she pushed the words forward after a long moment.

Henry laughed. "Go ahead, call her yourself."

June doesn't call.

But Henry does.

A PHONE CALL
JULIETTE X HENRY
BEFORE

'She really said that?'

'Mhm. She's going to frame you. I told her not to but...'