x - shame

CHAPTER TEN

There was about half an hour remaining till the concert. In the mean time, Kennedy asked her to follow her into a dark room, and when June gave her a sketched out look, she was quickly informed that the girl worked here occasionally and merely wanted to show her something nice. And although it did not seize June's worries, she retraced Kennedy's steps meekly.

The glow from the lightbulb above flickered in.

First spotting only an archaic web in the very crevice of the tight room, with a black widow feasting on a fawn mush of what appeared and simply had to be an unfortunate insect that had fallen for its ruse. She recoiled, a bit terrified of the little creatures.

But if you ignored the dust and corpses, what you'd get overall would be a snug parlor with interesting oil paintings scattered all over the walls in a rather bemusing order. And a hearth with a small crackling fire. Other than that, there wasn't much to it.

Darkness consumed the chamber whole, the flames snuffed.

June flicked her eyes to Kennedy's blurry outline of a body in horror. 'What did you want to show me?' she asked, hands thrusted into the pockets of her woolen coat.

Kennedy didn't respond. She'd crouched. Clicking a few buttons before lifting her eyes up to the ceiling.

A midnight blue luster coating the walls like thick paint along with tiny little stars dotted across. As if quickly transported into a new reality. Their forms casting over the synthetic night sky as the sound of laughing reached in from the seemingly faraway outside world.

'What do you think?' Kennedy's euphonious voice inquired expectantly.

June thought for a moment. Tilting her head slightly to better perceive her new friend but she'd only caught the lines of her eyes, the lower half of her face was shadowed.

'What a waste of money,' June remarked dryly.

She scoffed in offense. 'It was only thirty-three pounds.'

'Envision the amount of other niche items you could've gotten in its place on eBay.'

Kennedy sighed. 'You're right,' she said before fiddling with something on the ground, allowing the light take hold of the room once more. The pair blinked, eyes straining a little at the brightness.

'Well, I'm all out of ideas. Why don't we go annoy Rafe or something?' Kennedy offered the idea loosely.

June gasped in feign infatuation at such a magnificent notion of a pastime. 'I thought you'd never ask.'

Both advanced forward, stumbling out of the restricted room while giggling in practiced unison over the heinous accusations they were making about Rafe behind his back, holding onto one another by dear life as their bodies shook from violent laughter.

Who knew the two would bond over the art of talking shit?

In the span of no more than ten minutes, the pair did exactly that. As Rafe would scoff as if offended and insult them with the continuous usage of the word wanker just to spite June who'd very deeply explained how much she disliked the term after the first time his mouth formed the shape and sound of it. June quickly slipped on her patriot facade that was really just a pretense to slander the British.

Kennedy did not hesitate to switch sides, which resulted in June rolling her eyes and accepting defeat. Knowing if she continued the bit, more and more of them would gather and infect her frail self with their venom.