5

That evening, Georgia was sitting in the common area, the table in front of her spread out with Hana's material. It was late, most of the hostel's patrons having left to go out and explore or gone to bed.

Chewing on the end of her pencil, becoming more and more distressed as the night waned, Georgia struggled with her lesson plan. She wished Bianca or Natalie were around; they could have helped ease her fears, but they had their own lessons to prepare. Ninety minutes and a few dot points later, Georgia shut her notebook, and in a spark of fury, chucked her pencil across the room.

'Now, now, what did that pencil ever do to you?'

Georgia whipped around. Daniel stood in the hallway, watching her, a grin on his face.

'Oh, hi. Daniel, isn't it?'

Fetching her pencil from under the couch, he handed it back.

'That's right,' he said in surprise. Then he looked down at Hana's paperwork, and he raised his eyebrows. 'I didn't know you were a part of the program too.'

'Yep. Just arrived a few days ago.'

'And you're Australian. Whereabouts are you from?' He pulled out a chair opposite her and sat. He wore long khaki pants and thongs and a faded blue Billabong shirt. He looked like a surfie and totally out of place here in Hamrachi.

'Brisbane.'

'Oh yeah? I'm from Melbourne.'

'Yeah, I know, Rana told me.' They locked eyes. 'Did you want something?'

'I could help you, if you want,' he said, dropping his eyes to her notebook.

'No, that's okay, I'm fine with it.'

'Nah, come on, let me help.' And before she could stop him, he spun over her notebook.

'Oy!'

He looked over her work. 'Well it looks like you could use some help. Just a tad.'

'Like I said before, I don't need it.' She ripped it out of his grasp. 'My class isn't until Thursday. I have another night yet.'

'Why are you so touchy?'

'I'm not touchy.'

'Then why don't you let me help you? Or would you prefer standing up in front of thirty people with nothing to say?'

Georgia frowned as she looked down at her work. He was right. He might be a dick, but he was better than nothing, much better than humiliating herself. 'Alright, but just no funny business.'

'Of course not,' he smirked.

*

Georgia gave a great hacking cough. John and Bianca laughed.

'Sorry, I haven't had a smoke in a long time,' Georgia said, thumping her chest. She handed the hose to John.

'Just remember, it's supposed to be about relaxing. Take your time while inhaling. You're not in a rush.' Putting his lips around the hookah's mouthpiece, John took a long, deep breath. Georgia could hear the reservoir bubble madly. Then he exhaled.

Coughing, Natalie waved the smoke from her face.

'How do you know about this place? I would never have found it,' Georgia said.

It was almost lunch and they were at the Sweet Temptation Cafe. It was located only a couple of blocks from the hostel, down a narrow alleyway. She loved it. It felt homely and comfortable with its low wooden tables and colourful cushions. There was coffee and sheesha and traditional Abassan food to snack on. Pictures of Mosques and the Red Desert alongside lots of glowing sunsets and scenic views lined the walls. Arabian-styled Western music was playing—Careless Whisper, if she was hearing right.