10

At reception the next day both Hana and Habib were waiting for her.

'I admire your determination, Georgia, and I'm so glad you are here with us.'

'Thanks, Hana.'

Georgia looked up at Habib. 'I've never seen you here on a Thursday before.'

'I will come with you to your class today,' he replied.

'Oh.' Heat rose in her cheeks. 'Is that really necessary? I doubt he will come back.'

'We would prefer that you should have some extra security,' Hana said. 'Just for a little while. Just to be sure he doesn't show up. Inshallah.'

'But—'

Habib dismissed her with a wave of his hand. 'It is not for talking. It is for your safety and for everyone.'

Surprised by the steel in his voice, Georgia didn't argue.

Hana gave her a playful smile. 'You know, when I spoke with your students yesterday, they were very concerned about you.'

'Oh?'

'Yes. They were very insistent I should do everything I could to not let you leave.' She beamed at Georgia's embarrassment. 'They like you. They care about you. And you're a good teacher.'

Georgia didn't know what to say.

In her classroom, Georgia stood waiting behind her desk as her students trickled in. Habib stood by the door like a bouncer, arms folded, scanning each of their faces carefully. When the last of them sat down, Georgia shook her head at him. Satisfied, he left, closing the door behind him.

Georgia cleared her throat. 'Good afternoon, nice to see everyone again.'

'Nice to see you too,' somebody called out. There was the scraping of dozens of chairs as everyone stood, then the room exploded with noise as they clapped and cheered and whooped.

The papers Georgia was holding slipped from her grasp and swirled around her. She bowed her head and pressed her hands to her burning cheeks. She was probably blazing as brightly as the Abassan sunset.

Afterwards, Georgia sat by the window in the common area, gazing outside. Class had finished an hour ago, but she was still reeling.

'Buenos tardes, Bianca,' Georgia smiled as her friend trudged from their room, hair tangled, lipstick smudged, dark smudges under her eyes. She had thrown on a wrinkled white shirt. She wasn't wearing a bra and her nipples were dark against it. 'You stayed out late.'

Bianca slumped into a chair across the table from her. On the couches in front of the T.V sat a group of guys, some half-dressed as they flicked through the channels, others dozing. Two of them glanced over at Bianca, eyes running over her. From the communal bathroom she could hear a couple of girls chatting away.

'You look ready to take on the world,' Georgia grinned.

Bianca rubbed her eyes with a groan. 'What time is it?'

'Three-thirty, lazy bones.'

'Jesus.' She blinked groggily at Georgia. 'You've had your class, then. How was it? Was that man there?'

'No, and it was awesome.'

'Told you you had nothing to worry about. And how did it go with Jasper? Come on, tell me everything. Don't keep it to yourself.' She leant across the table and playfully slapped Georgia's hand.

'There's nothing much to tell, he's a frigging jerk, that's all.'

'Como? I cannot believe this.' She looked devastated. 'What happened?'