Chapter 2. Hiding behind the mask

"You're a demon?!"
Elizabeth took a step back, looking at the fragile, but intimidating boy with fear in her eyes. She was considering running away to collect her thoughts and make sense of the things that happened in such a small amount of time. Kyle had hurt her, he looked like a demon and was acting like one too, and if that wasn't bad enough, now he was in the corner of the school crying his eyes out.
She turned her head as she made her choice and tried to turn away, but before she could leave Kyle grabbed her at the shoulder.
Elizabeth flinched at the sudden touch, especially since Kyle had accidentally put pressure on the wound with his hand, so blood was now running down his fingers, slowly dripping to the ground as it started mixing itself with the puddle of tears that had already formed. "Eliza! Please..... Wait I-I can explain!" Elizabeth's face visibly changed to a somewhat disgusted but at the same time, confused face. "What is there to explain kyle!? you hurt me... Literally!"
Kyle already felt a wave of tears building up again. He didn't even try to stop them this time, he just let everything out at once. "I-I'm sorry Eli I didn't mean to hurt you! You're right I have a demon but I can't control it and I hate it with my entire being, It's just that I can't stop him!"
Kyle looked up at Elizabeth with the hope that she would understand, but when he was met with a now slightly pissed girl looking down at him. he knew that she didn't understand, but how could she?
"so you're saying that you can't control yourself enough not to injure me!?" Kyle wiped his tears and made a successful attempt to stop crying. he shook his head violently as he tried to explain himself again. "No no no! it's literally a different person in my body. it's like when you do something on autopilot and you only realize what you did after it's already been done, doesn't it feel like someone else did that thing for you? It's like that but instead, there is an actual second person inside me!"
Elizabeth looked at Kyle, she seemed to be working out the information that had just been spat at her. Though in the end, she didn't get to finish her thoughts cause they both heard footsteps coming from the hallway. they kept getting closer, and even though Elizabeth was still a little mad at Kyle, she jumped in front of him so as to not let anyone see what had happened to him.
Kyle was already prepared to run but couldn't find a safe way out of the situation. there was a moment of silence. then a voice came out from the hall.
"Elizabeth?... kyle?.... where did you two go?" The two let out a deep breath that they didn't even know they were holding as they realized that the person in the hallway was just Kai.
Elizabeth called out to Kai out of habit, before realizing that that was probably a mistake to call her overprotective brother to a scene in which she was bleeding.

"I finally found you! Please don't run away like that you scared me half to death."
Elizabeth quickly held put her hand on her neck to cover the wound that had been made, while also trying to make sure not to touch her fragile, light brown dress and stain it with her wound.
"What happened back there? I just woke up to you and Kyle sprinting out of the room!"
Elizabeth gave Kai an awkward smile as she held up her left hand.
"oh, it's nothing Kai me and Kyle just had to have a little talk." Kai's face didn't change, instead, he focused his attention on Elizabeth's hand. Small droplets of blood were making their way together, only to drop to the ground when they were heavy enough.
"Elizabeth, it's raining, There's no way that you would go here for that type of reason... did you hurt someone?"
As Elizabeth heard that she took up both her hands, shaking them at the misunderstanding.
"no, no no I didn-"
Her eyes widened as she saw Kai's attention immediately shift to her shoulder. She had uncovered her wound by lifting her hands. "Elizabeth... who did this to you? Wait... you said you came out here to talk with Kyle. did he do this to you!?" Elizabeth looked a little scared, Only a few centimeters behind her was Kyle, crouching so that Kai wouldn't be able to see him.
But when Kai came closer to inspect Elizabeth's wound, Kyle was sitting in plain sight.
Kai gently shoved Elizabeth to the side and just looked at Kyle for a few seconds, taking in that the kid he had become friends with today both looked like a demon and had hurt his sister. as he grabbed kyle by the collar of his shirt, he shook him around a few times demanding answers to his questions.
"Kyle, why did you hurt my sister? and why do you look like a damn demon? ANSWER ME!" Kyle just looked away from Kai's face, as he turned his head to the side he muttered out a response. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to harm her." Kai raised him off the ground a bit so that he couldn't just run away from the conversation. It was a bit awkward cause Kyle was a tad taller than him.
" What the FUCK is wrong with you? That is obviously not a mistake!" Elizabeth grabbed Kai's shoulder, leaving a vague bloody handprint on his shirt. "Wait Kai please, let him explain himself!" Kai looked at Kyle, slightly mad but mostly disgusted. "Well then? you heard her. EXPLAIN" Kai let Kyle go, but because Kyle didn't see that coming, he lost his balance when hitting the ground and slipped. Kyle sighed and started to explain. "Well, I share my body with a demon. I don't know how he got there or how to get rid of him. He can take control and if he does I can't control myself."
For a moment Kai didn't believe him. But when looking at Kyle again he saw the half-black face that he had, and suddenly it made a lot more sense. Kai looked at Elizabeth's scar. It didn't at all look human. "So you're saying that you didn't scratch Elizabeth..." Kyle nodded "yeah.. I'm really sorry! I should've just.. i-" he stopped as he began tearing up. Kyle had been yelled at before, but for some reason this time, it really hurt.