Gemini

Three days had past since the team's group outing. As luck would have it, Velvet managed to heal back into fighting shape in a fraction of the time she was expected to. Now energized and on her feet, she was ready to give herself an actual battle test. I suggested that I still hold back a tad incase Velvet ended up injured again. Yet Team CFVY was adamant that I give it my all, so I obliged.

Velvet: I'm looking forward to this. It's ashamed I wasn't able to be there for you original test.

Y/n: I'd say I did well enough. You sure you're up for this? I don't want you to push yourself too much. 

Velvet: Nonsense. I've bounced back from worse.

Coco: Go easy on him, Velvet.

Velvet: Sure thing.

Fox: It wouldn't be fair if she didn't.

Y/n: What am I getting myself into? 

Velvet: Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do great.

I feel like she's just politely trash talking me. Well, if they want me to go at it with full intent, then who am I to disagree? Though, I'd still refrain from using my other semblance.

Y/n: Should they countdown or..... 

Velvet: Ready when you are.

I nodded, then dashed toward her. My first strike was a horizontal swipe once in range. Velvet jumped over the attack and landed on the side of me. She then sidestepped my overhead swing and elbowed me in the chest. She hopped above me and threw two kicks which were blocked by the side of my greatsword. I counter attacked with a rising slash, but she narrowly avoided it. She closed in for a counter of her own so I threw a front kick to push her back. As if she knew it was coming, Velvet blocked the kick and landed two punches to my body, followed by a spinning sweep that knocked me off balance. I managed to recover and weave under her high roundhouse. I figured it would be best to gain some distance so I jumped away.

So far, she's been on the defensive; only attempting follow-up attacks if she knows that she can dodge or block in time. She's fast and uses my speed handicap to her advantage. Keeping her at distance is gonna be difficult, so I'll need to force her to approach and counter attack afterwards. She must be used to Yatsuhashi's sword, so chances are the same with Coco's minigun. That leaves me with hand to hand.

I charged at her again, but this time, I threw my sword in an arc towards her. Velvet glanced up at it for a second and by the time her attention returned to me, I had already teleported behind her. I then went for a side kick that caught her off guard and sent her into the path of of the falling blade. She jumped to the side, out of the reach of the sword, but right in the path of my teleporting punch. The blow launched her to the other side of the arena. She caught herself midair and flipped around, landing with a skid. She looked over at me, dusted herself off, and smiled.

Velvet: You're doing pretty well. That's a neat teleporting semblance you have, too. 

Y/n: Thanks. I didn't think I'd need to bust it out this early. 

Velvet: Take it as a sign that you know how to adapt. You don't use it as a crutch, but as an extension of your own ability. Much like your weapon.

It was Velvet's turn to approach; sprinting toward me.

Velvet: But how's your reaction time?

She managed to close the distance in a matter of seconds, landing a knee in my chest. She continued her assault with a flying punch that was easily blocked. The onslaught didn't stop as she began picking up speed. I suffered a low kick into an uppercut. I fought back with a hook that she ducked under and pushed off her hands, launching into me with a rising drop kick. The final blow managed to knock me onto the ground. Before I could even process what happened, Velvet had kicked my sword towards me. Luckily, I was able to roll to my feet and catch it in time. I tried to retaliate by teleporting and slashing at her from behind. She managed to duck under the blade and block my follow-up kick. I continued with a sweep that she avoided with a flying roundhouse; I narrowly defended against it, but was sent sliding.