Chapter Three: Start Again

Dumbledore stands up and turns behind him to an antique cupboard. He pulled three tumblers out of a lower cabinet and proceeded to fill them 2 knuckles deep of a liquid Hermione couldn't see. He returned to his seat and proceeded to hand them both crystal glasses of amber firewhiskey, placing his finger on the tip of his nose and smiling at them. "Our little secret," he said, lifting his own glass into the air. Hermione grinned and sent him a secretive wink.

Severus had yet to say a single word after Hermione had finished her tale. She had left out nothing, knowing she didn't have to lie to him because she was, inevitably, planning on asking for an unbreakable vow. If he refused then she was certain she could Obliviate him. Sadly, it was one of her best spells. She couldn't imagine what was going through his head right now. Finding out that you were predominantly responsible for the death of your first and only friend and that you were Voldemort's number one man, was something that would blow anyone's mind. She kept her eyes on him and hoped he wasn't about to get sick, because if he did she undoubtedly would as well. Her stomach was very delicate at the moment, her own stress level leaving her weaker than normal. His black hair was hiding his face as he took in deep shaky breaths.

"Are you ok, Severus?" she whispered, eying him carefully, taking a swig of her drink.

The warmth spread through her, bringing life back to the tips of her fingers and toes. Severus looked into her brown eyes, his own full of disbelief and pure terror.

"Am I ok? Are you barmy!" he hollered, standing from his chair and knocking it toppling onto the floor.

Dumbledore sat patiently in his seat watching the two students in front of him. Hermione stood from her own chair primly, a grimace on her pale dirty features. She watched as her former Professor strode back and forth beside her, his hands grasping chunks of his raven hair.

"This is insane. How could I let myself sink so deep? Lily...oh Merlin...Lily," he gasped as he fought for breath.

Hermione felt terrible for him, she hated having to tell him what he had unknowingly caused to happen to the Potter's, but she feared it was the only way to make sure he understood exactly how bad things would turn if he didn't change his ways. As she watched him pace, she couldn't help but feel slightly amazed to see him acting so...so...human. He was usually so careful to project his facade of non-attachment, being able to see him so full of emotion was a heady experience. Severus stopped his pacing and turned to her, his eyes filled with sadness and pain, but as hard as steel.

"What do we do?" he asked, his voice so quiet she had to fight to hear him.

Hermione's breath caught in her throat and she couldn't stop the smile that turned up the corner of her lips.

"Professor Snape is asking me what we should do. Wow, isn't that a change of pace!" Hermione giggled.

She watched his face harden, but she could see the small smile that Severus tried to hide from her. She could tell how much the idea of becoming a Professor had meant to him. He probably never expected to become anything, let alone a Potions Master and Professor at Hogwarts.

"This is serious, Granger," Severus said. A small cough caught their attention.

"Prince," Dumbledore simply said.

Hermione rolled her eyes and sighed. "He is right, it's Mione Prince now. As silly as that sounds," Hermione grumbled.

Severus stalled for a moment and bit his bottom lip. "That's a muggle name. It's going to be hard for you and me to speak to one another. I hope you don't have too many plans that involve Slytherin," he said, "even with you using my mother's maiden name".