Chapter Thirteen: Juno

"Not again. Great Mother, why are you testing me? Haven't I done enough to please you?" Juno muttered, clenching his teeth.

He watched helplessly as the rebel leader, Kane, darted off the landing, his sister slung over his shoulder. Trying to pursue, Juno stumbled forward.

"No! Lucia!" he screamed, anger bubbling in his veins.

Kane's kick to the leg buckled his armor, preventing him from bending at the knee. Locked tight, a chase seemed futile. The King of Morrighan possessed a clever mind, as well as a sharp tongue. Growling, Juno thrashed against the armor. The poleyn remained firmly in place, sealed shut. He glared at his leg, willing it to move.

A heavy weight rested on his shoulders. Nervous tingles sent shock waves rolling across him as the strange sensation of a watchful gaze upon his body caused him to glance up. Juno's mouth dropped. Lucia's eyes pierced his, her body draped over Kane's shoulder. Chin lifted, she held the curtain of golden locks from her face. Juno's shoulders slumped, confusion sweeping over him. Either she'd awakened or she'd never fainted. After she smiled and held a finger to her lips, it appeared the latter persisted to be the case.

"But . . . what?" he mumbled.

She let her hair fall as Kane slipped out of the room. Panic squeezed his heart. Returning his attention to his knee, Juno growled.

Tingles of electricity pricked his skin. A strong wind swept through the room. Torch flames flickered. Clenching his fists, Juno howled, a powerful force swelling his chest. Tendrils of golden lightning sparked against his armor. Volcanic energy erupted, bursting forth from deep inside his core. Brighter than day, the room glowed, shimmering against raw power. Screaming, he thrust his arms to his side and darted forward. A loud crack resounded. The armor above his knee shattered and crumbled, disintegrating into golden sparkles. Free from the cage, a single goal radiated in his mind. Rescue Lucia. Racing down the stairs, the energy faded. Dim torchlight replaced the blinding gold.

Exiting the room, Juno twisted left, following in the direction he'd seen Kane turn. Armor clanking, fiery pain flared in his muscles. His lungs burned. He ignored the discomfort, remaining focused. Reaching the end of the corridor, Juno paused and listened. Voices echoed in the distance, bouncing amongst the stone of the right hall. Unable to decipher the soft whispers, he inched closer. Two men, both familiar. One he recognized as Kane, the other a voice he'd heard in the past. He couldn't put his finger on where. Gritting his teeth, he mustered up a ferocious roar and barreled towards their voices, announcing his presence. A warning to Kane, Juno meant business.

Rounding the next corner, he saw them—Kane and the preaching mage from the underground. Their backs turned, Lucia glanced up, surprise dawning her face. Her eyes widened as Kane whipped around. He and the mage mumbled to each other. Releasing a low growl, Juno gripped the hilt of his sword tight and increased speed. Kane sighed, pursing his lips, before glancing at the mage. He whispered once again, before tilting his head and shifting left. The two darted from the hall and down a flight of stairs leading to the courtyard.

On their heels, Juno pivoted towards the stairs. Descending, he entered a long narrow hall. The silhouetted forms of his sister, Kane, and the mage resided against an open doorway. They burst from the temple, running into the courtyard. Gaining speed, sweat dripped from Juno's brow. Almost there. Only a few moments more and he'd catch up. From out of nowhere, massive pain flared along his entire right side. His body flew, slamming into the stone. He slid to the ground, groaning and rubbing his head. Glancing up, his gaze fell upon a crowwan.

"What in the hell?" Juno grimaced. "How? In the temple? No."

The beast roared, gaping maw dripping flecks of violet ooze. Thick, mucousy saliva splattered against his cheek. The creature stepped forward, horns scraping the ceiling. Bracing against his sword, Juno thrust himself to his feet. A quick glance towards the courtyard and he groaned, torn between two duties. One prevailed over the other. Though, without his life, rescuing Lucia would prove entirely more difficult.