Chapter Thirty: Juno

Jaw clenched, Juno glared at Lucia. She nibbled against her bottom lip, glancing from him to Lexi to Kerberos as her hand strayed for the man beside her—the rebel leader, King of Morrighan, her traitorous captor—Kane. Juno's eyes widened as her fingers interlaced with his.

Kane smirked in response, tightening his grip. "Is there something I can help you boys with?" he inquired, cocking his head.

Lexi growled, clamping the hilt of his sword. Juno held up a hand and shook his head.

"Lucia, you need to come with us now. Things have gotten out of hand," he muttered.

Lucia pursed her lips. "No, Juno, I'm sorry. I can't." Her voice barely a whisper, her eyes beamed beneath ferocious intensity.

Juno's heart sank. He understood that look. She'd set her mind to something and, once she did, there would be no swaying her.

"But we came to save you!" Lexi shouted, snarling in Kane's direction.

"Well, it doesn't appear the lady wants to be saved." Kerberos chuckled and shrugged. "As if that's a surprise."

Kane shot him a glare and furrowed his brows. "Now is not the time for this," he growled. "Out of our way knights!" The fingers of his free hand stretched towards the cutlass sheathed at his waist.

"Please, Junie, trust me. I know it's difficult but you have to trust me. There are so many things I've learned since I last saw you, things you wouldn't understand, but it's important I go with Kane."

"Ooo, on a first name basis, huh?" Kerberos sighed, flashing a rakish grin.

Lucia gulped, her rose tinted cheeks darkening four shades, as Kane rolled his eyes.

"Kerberos, enough with the games and let us pass! Morrighan is in ruin. Corrupted knights have overtaken the city. And we encountered a crowwan."

Kerberos's mouth dropped. "No. Not here."

"Aye, sorry but I speak truth."

"Morrighan was the last safe place from Sanheim's army. There were a few attacks here and there but they were only blighteaters. But now crowwans? This is getting bad, Kane."

"I know. And the one we saw came from the shadow of one of the corrupted knights. The church has fallen and you know it."

Kerberos clicked his teeth, eyes fogging as if deep in thought. "One arises, an army follows. The people?"

"Safe, for now. What's left of them anyway," Kane snapped. "And it's all thanks to you leading the bastards here!"

Lexi thrust himself forward, slamming against Juno's right shoulder, and drew his blade—shattering their conversation.

"Lies! I refuse to believe it!" He paused, glancing over his shoulder towards Kerberos and then back to Kane. "Wait, how do you know who he is? You two speak as if on friendly terms."

Kane smirked, taking a stance between Lucia and Lexi. "Who doesn't know of the Archbishop? We're not heathens." He winked at Lucia before returning his attention forward. "And I know much more than that, Lexi, son of former Archbishop Leonardo. I have my connections."

Lexi growled, lunging forward. Kane snagged Lucia's wrist and sidestepped the attack, dragging her with him.

"Lex! My sister! Be careful!" Juno shouted.

Lexi granted a sheepish grin before locking eyes with Kane. "Let her go, scoundrel!"

"I'll never let her go," Kane replied, tone sharp, as he shifted his gaze towards Juno. "At least, not alone. You have my word."