Chapter Eighteen: Juno

Open waters slammed against the chestnut planks of the Eurus. Body worn, Juno trembled, leaning over the rail of the upper deck. Lexi, green at the gills, swayed beside him. He clutched his mouth. Vomit threatened to escape, though he held it beneath pursed lips. Golden rays of sun blistered and reflected off their armour in blinding light, accentuating his queasy features.

"Figured you'd be used to this shit by now," Juno grumbled, flicking sweat from his brow.

Lexi gulped, swallowing the rising bile.

"How can anyone get used to this?" he griped, gagging for the millionth time. "I can't take it. I'm going to be sick!"

He barfed over the side then moaned as he cleaned his soaked chin with a navy handkerchief. Kerberos strode from behind, slapping their backs. Lexi jolted, instantaneously appearing ill again.

"Come now, boys. Enjoy the adventure! It's not often we are free to leave the shores of Asteria," Kerberos sighed, breathing in the salt air.

A pleasant expression graced his face as he gazed across the rippling waves of the Adere Sea.

"You seem at ease, Archbishop. I envy you," Lexi murmured, before releasing another flood of vomit.

Kerberos chuckled, his bottom lip protruding. "Aye, Lexi, my boy, I am. The sea and I are familiar."

"It's more than that," Juno retorted. "You seem exceptionally jovial, even more than usual, despite all the monster attacks."

After approximately six days of travel, they still remained several nights from Morrighan. Waters rough and Sanheim's forces in abundance, the journey drained. At least, for all except Kerberos.

Kerberos cleared his throat, sliding a hand through his red spiked hair. "Well, I suppose I'm pleased to return home, as well," he murmured.

"Home? What the hell does that mean? Asteria is your home," Lexi argued, between bouts of sickness.

"True, Asteria is my home now but it wasn't always. I lived half my life in Morrighan before traveling to seek knighthood in Asteria," he admitted, glancing towards Juno. He flicked his tongue across his teeth, as if waiting for a reaction.

Arching a brow, Juno twisted to face him. "Hmm, I presume you know the rebel leader well, then. A contrast to the dubious recognition you offered before we departed."

Kerberos smirked, wildly twirling his arms before crossing them. "Oh, no!" he jested. "You've caught me red handed, Juno. Whatever shall I do?"

Lexi and Juno exchanged a quick glance before they smiled.

"Enough with the games, old fool," Lexi grumbled, releasing a soft laugh.

Kerberos rolled his eyes, shifting his weight to one foot and returning his attention towards Juno. "Upfront and honest, yes. I knew Kane, once. Not just a rebel leader and certainly not a fabricated King. He's born of noble lineage, a distant relative of the once great ruler of Asteria, before the church was founded. After all, Morrighan, at one point, was our capital."

"No. Not true," Lexi denied. "My father would've told me so."

Kerberos scoffed, pushing between them to place his hands upon the rail. "Believe it or not, facts do not lie," he retorted. "The truth, however, may have been lost to time. A shame."

"Huh. So, a story then? Let's hear it. We've nothing better to do while we wait, other than watching this one," Juno muttered, side-eyeing Lexi, "getting sick over the side of the ship."

Kerberos chuckled then sighed, a mixture of fondness and displeasure crossing his face. His shoulders slumped beneath a heavy groan.

"Not much to tell, Juno. Approximately six hundred years ago, the royal family of Eldritch ruled," he began, stretching and intertwining his fingers behind his head. "Asteria prospered. Peace reigned. Everything was . . . , well, good, bluntly speaking. Though, a faction diverged. Those who believed in worshiping multiple holy entities brought war upon those who only believed in worshiping The Great Mother. Chaos ensued."