Chapter Seventeen: Kane

Crystal moonlight manifesting an eerie glow, Kane's gaze penetrated Lucia. She trembled at the center of The Salty Siren, her shoulders heaving beneath rapid panting. Rambunctious hoops and hollers resounded. The priestess's performance awed the people, though he knew the reality of the situation. She'd never used this amount of energy previously and it drained her. Lucia's fingers twisted through her golden locks, clawing at her skull. She released a soft moan. A glaze frosted her eyes. She stumbled forward, extending a hand towards him, before crashing to the floor.

"Bloody hell," Kane murmured.

Stepping forward, he stumbled himself, a haze of intoxication disorienting. However, bound by chivalric nature, passion overpowered his alcohol infused blood and manipulated his body as a puppet. Honor prevented him from leaving a lady lying upon a dirty floor. Dropping to a knee, he brushed his hand through her hair.

"Why are you so prone to fainting, my little rosebud?" Kane sighed, slurring his words.

Wrapping his arms around her frail form, he straightened, hugging her tightly against his chest. Lucia quivered, nuzzling his neck. She relaxed.

"Clove." A soft whisper, her honey sweet voice trickled to Kane's ears.

Arching a brow, a knot formed in his throat. He shook his head, ignoring the rising heat engulfing his body.

"Ealhdun," Kane called, licking his lips, "please, gather my belongings and meet Raziel and I outside."

The fae boy saluted, leaping into action. He darted across the room to retrieve the haphazardly placed coat and hat. Striding towards the exit, the chaos of the tavern muted beneath Kane's attention towards Lucia. Torches relit and steins refilled, conversation thrummed over the mysterious golden haired maiden. No one noticed as he stole her away. Raziel held the door and they exited the tavern, Ealhdun not far behind.

"She's a curious little thing, isn't she?" Raziel muttered, keeping Kane's fast pace. "After observing my abilities twice and Ealhdun's only once, she mimicked our energies. I can't deny, I'm pleasantly surprised."

Kane grunted, shrugging his shoulders and shifting Lucia's weight in his arms. "I'm still not convinced."

"Still not convinced of what, Cap'n?" Ealhdun inquired.

"That she's the one," he responded.

Slowing to a crawl, Kane led the two from Port Square to Morrighan Proper, where the residential area resided. His feet shambled. Priestess Lucia rested in his arms, lost to the world, and, yet, he had no clue what to do with her. Obligation plagued. The only thought resonating in his mind existed as the idea that she could no longer remain in the tavern. After that fact, a plan evaded him.

The Valdrish wench's image floated, an illusion dancing before Kane's eyes. Her sloppy wet kisses and fiery warm body ached his core. Desire urged him to abandon Lucia upon someone's doorstep and proceed with the planned events of the evening. Yet, something powerful insisted he care for the priestess. A golden light? No, Kane concluded, simply delusion.

"The one? As in the Holy Priestess of prophecy?" Raziel interrogated, interrupting his conflicted thought. "After all we've seen, even I'm beginning to believe. Perhaps, the church got it right, for once."

Snorting, Kane cocked his head and glared. Raziel sighed, a displeased gaze emitting from his eyes.

"Oh, Kane, you can't completely forsake the church. Though now infested by unholy entities, at one point, it acted as the joining force between the raging countries. Otherwise, Fedyenka's lineage would still rule. You, of all people, know he relinquished power for peace."