The Noble House of Black

November 1966. Number twelve, Grimmauld Place.

"Sirius! What are you doing?" a little girl burst out in an indignant voice, her fists on her hips.

Her name was Alya Merope Black; she was a thin and petite child, but this did not prevent her from filling the room in which she was with her innate haughtiness. She had long raven hair, styled in a ponytail that fell softly over her shoulder, in stark contrast to the diaphanous whiteness of her skin. On the thin face, with slightly harsh features, stood out two gray and sparkling eyes, which darted reproachfully on the figure of his brother, Sirius Black.

As soon as he heard his sister's trilling rebuke, the little boy couldn't help but snort loudly, with evident impatience.

"It was those Muggle kids." Sirius answered with a nonchalant tone, as he hurried to close the window "They threw another stone. I just wanted to say hello!"

"You know we're not allowed to talk to Muggles. If mom finds out, you're in trouble." Alya warned him in a knowing tone.

Sirius snorted a second time, rolling his eyes.

Like his sister, he had a gray and glittering gaze. He had the same black hair and coarse features, which gave him a haughty air. The two children looked alike in all respects, which made it clear that they were twins.

"Oh, Alya, stop it! See if I care!" Sirius shrugged, as if the danger of being discovered by his mother didn't bother him at all.

Alya sighed in resignation. It was useless to reason with his brother, he was stubborn as a mule.

At that moment, a croaking voice broke into the room, making Alya jump.

"The children should be in the kitchen now. The mistress is waiting for them for supper."

A strange creature had just appeared from behind the door of the living room where Sirius and Alya were, looking at the two siblings with suspicion.

It was Kreacher, the old family house elf. His appearance possessed almost nothing human; the strange creature was almost as tall as a child - little taller than Alya and Sirius - but resembled a shriveled old man. Its skin was gray and wrinkled, while the face was pointed, half of which was occupied by large round eyes (much larger than normal) with a stern look. A long curved nose, similar to the beak of an eagle, stuck out in the middle of the face, giving it an even more grim air. On either side of the head were two large ears that dangled a little limp, like a bat's wings. Its hunched-up body was wrapped in an old, shabby, filthy rag that served as a dress.

"The children don't have to stay here and play. The mistress is waiting for them ..." Kreacher urged them again.

"Yes, Kreacher! We were just on our way." Sirius interrupted in a bored tone.

The elf did not reply, merely narrowing his gaze with offense. He took a quick look around the room. His probing eyes seemed to suspect some mischief being made by the two. But nothing seemed out of place, so he just opened the door wider and motioned for the two children to follow him out.

Alya followed obediently, with Sirius behind her whispering contemptuously:

"I bet the mistress sent her spy here to check on us. That hag!"

"You're lucky he didn't catch you saying hello to Muggles!" Alya scolded him in a low voice, trying not to be heard by Kreacher. Sirius replied with an impatient snort.

Neither seemed surprised or frightened by the presence of that strange creature called Kreacher. In fact, they treated him as part of the family.

After all, Sirius and Alya weren't children like everyone else. They were wizards. Wizards belonging to one of the most illustrious and ancient families of magical blood in Great Britain: the Blacks.