Arguments in Grimmauld Place

June, 1975. Hogwarts.

The days passed quietly and soon Alya's fourth year at Hogwarts came to an end. As always, Alya's final grades were excellent in almost all subjects. With the exception of Potions, the subject Alya hated the most. Unfortunately for her, she was the only one in her family who was so bad at the subject; Sirius and Regulus both used to bring home excellent results, without the slightest effort. Both of them had managed to get into the good graces of the Professor Slughorn, Potions teacher and head of Slytherin House, thus gaining access to the coveted Slughorn Club, a kind of exclusive club formed by the most promising pupils and appreciated by the teacher. During the school year, Slughorn was in the habit of organising small evening events, gathering his protegés in pleasant private dinners. Regulus regularly received invitations from the teacher, at least a couple of times a month, and never missed an opportunity to attend. From his accounts, it seemed that Sirius also showed up from time to time - although Alya suspected that it was not so much for his personal pleasure, but more a strategy to curry as much sympathy as possible for the professor, who had a certain inclination to want to defend his favourites. Since Sirius often got into trouble, having a member of the school's teaching staff on his side could be a great advantage.

Alya had never been invited to Professor Slughorn's evenings. Not even once. Her results in Potions were too poor to be noticed positively. Not even the good name of the Black family could make up for her scholastic gaps.

Therefore, as the last day at Hogwarts of her fourth school year approached, Alya felt increasingly burdened by the idea of returning to Grimmauld Place. Her parents, haughty and so careful to keep the good image of the Black family intact, wouldn't have liked to hear that their daughter had once again been excluded from an exclusive circle. What Alya feared most were the lectures of her mother, who was far from understanding. Surely Walburga would have reminded her of her role as descendant of one of the oldest and most prestigious families in the magical world, her responsibility to hold high the name of the Black lineage and how reprehensible her failure in such a simple subject as Potions was.

On her last night at Hogwarts, Alya was haunted by her mother's nagging little voice, calling her the disgrace of the family, the entire time she packed her bags. A little voice that continued to haunt her thoughts the next morning, on the Hogwarts Express, during her journey home.

Also in the compartment with her was Regulus, who had noticed his sister's discontent, although she tried to appear as unflappable as ever, pretending to read a book out of her bag.

Aware of how proud Alya was, Regulus respected her muteness for a good half hour of the journey, after which he decided to address the issue. That enforced silence was becoming heavy.

"You're worrying for nothing," said the boy, subtly brushing back a lock of dark hair that fell across his face.

Alya did not move her eyes from her book, stubbornly glued to the pages.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Reg," she lied haughtily.

But Regulus knew his sister too well. He knew what her mind was ferociously labouring over.

"Mum and Dad will give no weight to your grades in Potions and will not reproach you for not getting into Slughorn's good graces," Regulus insisted firmly.

Alya noisily closed the little book.

"Mum and Dad do care! But it's easy for you. You're the professor's pet!" she blurted out brusquely. As always, Regulus had hit the nail on the head.

"I'll tell you again. Neither of them will give a damn about your situation. Trust me." he asserted, with the expression of one who knows better.