Missing Snape

The pale light of the full moon filtered faintly through the thick tangle of branches and leaves of the Forbidden Forest, barely illuminating the suffering muzzle of the stag lying on the ground at the foot of the majestic cypress tree.

Now standing beside him, Alya clearly saw the numerous bleeding wounds which dotted the animal's body. Much of the brown coat was covered in blood: by the looks of it, it must have been fighting desperately against a large predator. The bite marks were large and deep.

In particular, one of the two hind legs had a gruesome gash: the opponent's teeth had sunk down to the bone, tearing flaps of flesh and muscle, which now pulsed painfully in the open. In that condition, the deer would have had no chance to get back on its feet and, in all likelihood, would have died within hours from the copious blood loss.

However, despite being at the end of its strength, the beast was lusting and kicking, refusing to surrender to death. Alya admired its stubbornness. The girl couldn't help but recall the words her mother had spoken to her when she had first conjured up a Patronus: the stag is proud; if it must die, it will fight with all its might to take with it the foolish predator that attacked it.

Judging by the wounds it showed, that agonized stag demonstrated how much truth lay in Walburga's statement. The girl didn't know whether the predator which had attacked it had died in the encounter or not, but it was obvious that the stag had fought with all its might.

Young Black's fingers rose spontaneously to caress the horn-shaped pattern engraved on the silver pendant around her neck, while a sense of pity and determination invaded her heart. Meanwhile, Koboro had crawled silently up to the body of the animal lying on the ground, his small black eyes studied its wounds, his nostrils flared to inhale its gravity. At the sight of the large, obsidian-black cobra slowly approaching him, the deer kicked vehemently in a vain attempt to drive it away. Koboro ignored him.

"The stag is doomed," he sentenced without compassion. "My venom will give it a quicker end." he hissed like an executioner.

Koboro stood majestically above the animal's mighty throat, jaws wide open, revealing the sharp canines brimming with venom. The stag, which certainly didn't understand Parseltongue, sensed the deadly intentions of the onyx-colored snake all the same; it huffed muffled protests, wiggling its pointed antlers. In its dark eyes there was no shadow of either fear or supplication. Alya saw a furious vital spark shining in the stag's black irises.

"Stop!" growled young Black, reflexively pointing her wand at Koboro.

"Don't you dare!" she intimated to the animal. The snake instantly froze and turned toward Alya.

"It's just a stag." he hissed contritely, though not at all perturbed by the human's outburst.

"I don't care. I want to save him. And you're going to help me." replied Alya, firm and unyielding. "I have healed similar wounds before, remember? Thanks to your magic. I will save this stag as I saved you years ago."

Koboro remained in inscrutable silence for a few seconds. Then, he recoiled, albeit reluctantly, from the pawing figure of the dying beast.

"As you wish." said the reptile condescendingly, as with slow movements it wrapped its wide coils around Alya's body so that its triangular snout was at the same height as the girl's ear. "Clear your mind and focus your thoughts only on the wounds. Listen to the sounds I whisper to you and repeat them faithfully. But I warn you: the animal is very weak. It may not survive anyway."

"I have to try. It deserves a chance," Alya answered him, firmly.

The girl knelt beside the stag, which brayed menacingly, lashing the air with blows from its antlers. It almost pierced Alya. But she didn't back away; after all, the animal was only fighting for its life.