Chapter 8

It is worse than I expected. Imagine being trapped within a cage and forced to stay there while people come and peer at you through the bars and laugh at your expense. Then imagine all of these people in ridiculous costumes.

Except this is ten times worse.

At first I am momentarily blinded by the brightness of the lights and the illuminated city, but as my eyes gradually adjust I yearn for the unknown of the light again. I want to be back at home with my family while I watch somebody else be paraded around the City Circle. But I made this decision and I must follow the consequences of my actions.

I catch sight of our chariot on the huge screens as they introduce us and I appreciate fully the skill of our prep team.

Our outfits display the beauty of District 9, while our skin glows mildly iridescent with the power of the sun. As the night grows darker, our bodies shine brighter, and more people begin to take notice of us.

Which means I have to smile and wave and pretend to be happy.

I spy the lines of sponsors in the first three rows of the seating. Some have calm, calculating expressions; others wear cruel smirks. Only a few are screaming as wildly as the audience.

As I smile fakely at these animals, I am pelted with things like flowers and jewellery. I don't know if this means they like me or think I will become depressed at the bruises blossoming on my skin.

The crowd start to chant out the Districts of their favourite chariots and booing at the ones that don't meet their expectations.

"Who are they cheering for?" Jakob asks through a smile as wide as they City Circle itself. Despite his ecstatic demeanour, his voice is worried and tense.

Straining to hear over the deafening noise, I answer as best as I can. "Um.... 1, 2 and 4 mainly, but that's only to be expected... some for 6, 11 and.... and for us."

Jakob raises his eyebrows in surprise, and turns to wave to the audience with renewed energy. I do the same, although I am on my guard not to forget who they really are or what I am really doing here. To see what truly lies beneath, you have to strip away the illusions.

After about 5 minutes of parading around City Circle, we come to a standstill outside of the second-floor balcony of the President's mansion. The President herself is stood completely straight behind a grand ivory podium, her family and advisers seated a little way back. She wears a crisp suit of pure white, ironed impeccably without a crease is visible. The customary family flower perches delicately upon her artfully styled black hair - a beautiful white rose, pruned to perfection.

Everybody knows who she is.

Everybody knows what she is capable of.

She is Ellimere Snow, President of Panem.

"Welcome," she addresses the nation, "Welcome old friends, far neighbours and honourable tributes. The time has finally come - the time where we reminisce over the past, celebrate the present and build foundations for the future. You, the children of our generation, are the heirs to our country and we place in the palm of your hands the trust of leadership and the responsibility of adulthood. Yet we must remember the past too, lest we make the same mistakes and face the same consequences again.

"To ensure that tragedy never brakes down the precarious tower of peace, we gather here to sacrifice a handful of our population for the benefit of our larger people. Because only then can our peace be held in a solid structure. Sacrifices have to be made to reach that full potential and sacrifices are willing to be given. For the greater good of Panem. Panem today," she sweeps her eyes over the chariots, "Panem tomorrow. Panem forever."