𝐩𝐭. 𝟏 - 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒐𝒘 𝒐𝒇 𝒐𝒑𝒑𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚

it was a fine day at the shimura's restaurant, heizou sipping a cup of water while leaning against the counter. he sat on the stool with a frown, bored out of his mind, no investigation was to be done and he couldn't dig for any mysteries to solve, for there were none.

it was peaceful this morning, and no daily reports were to be tackled. unusual, he thought, there's always a mystery i'm called in to solve.

the calm and quiet atmosphere without the tenryou commission yelling at suspicious citizens was quite nice actually. for the first time in a while, he could listen to the rivers below the bridge of inazuma city, the waterfall softly crashing against the mountain...he could even hear the sound of himself swallowing water and the rattling of his teeth as the cold liquid hit his nerves. to be honest, it was an odd sound, but new in a good way, for some reason.

just an enjoyable morning for now. until, of course, a few cats start yowling and a ruckus begins not too far away.

"h-hey!" a voice cried out, "i didn't mean to, i'm sorry! ...ow! claws down, man!"

disturbed, heizou rushes to the scene, abandoning his spilled cup of water on the concrete. "is everything alright here?"

there a girl sat, amidst three cats who just wouldn't stop attempting to claw her face. she held one out, making sure its paws stayed out of reach, while she pushed away the other two with her legs gently, hoping they didn't claw through the pads on her shins.

and yes, that girl was you.

"hmm," heizou carefully took one of the cats near your legs and grinned at it. "hello." heizou giggled as he made sure it kept its paws out of his face by resting the cat on his stomach and holding the paws delicately with his fingers. "what's wrong? did someone bother you?" he glances angrily at you for a split second, sending chills down your spine.

the cat simply hissed and tried to escape heizou's grasp but he kept it in his arms, his hold firm. "calm down, you're okay." he spun around slowly, soothing the cat. after the cat's growls softened, heizou gave you a dirty look. "and why, may I ask, are these cats attacking you?"

you didn't know exactly why. perhaps it was that you were frightened by the sight of tenryou commission soldiers all watching you uncomfortably so you started running. or it was just that you tripped over a cat trying to groom itself in the streets, which gathered two others who seemed to be acquainted with the cat you tripped over.

"in that case..." heizou sighed, placing the cat down so it could go on its way. "...i guess if we do not know, it is a shame." with nothing to keep his brain at work, everything held itself with boredom and dull colour.

you stood up watching the cats huddle in to speak amongst themselves and then run off, away from this godforsaken area where the risk of being stepped on was high.

turning to the detective, you replied, "it was my foolishness that summoned these cats."

he appeared shocked- but only for a split second. perhaps he knew exactly what had happened? no...what was really going on in his mind was the fact you had somehow stepped on a cat in your path, and that was the only thing that stopped you from progressing further on your journey. a disappointment. how believable can that story actually be?

however, he was (at that moment) begging for something to work on, regardless of how small the case was, so he asked questions to keep the conversation alive and perhaps begin cracking the first case of the day. "what foolishness?"

you reluctantly told him the entire story- from tenryou commission soldiers staring at you to tripping over a cat. he did chuckle from time to time which lightly struck a nerve inside you.