Chapter 1

You had been moved in and married for about six months when you finally decided to have a barbecue in the backyard. The guest list included all of your closest friends. Rooster was in your backyard at the grill talking with Maverick and Hangman. The mood was light and happy. Hangman was on leave to spend more time with Maria and Coyote had finally eyed someone he liked. Now if he could just make the move he would win her over. She was dying for him to ask her out so you invited her to facilitate the hopeful couple to be. You wore a low cut white bodysuit with boyfriend style jean shorts. "Mrs. Bradshaw!" You heard coming from outside. You picked your head up and smiled as your husband called you over to him. "Can you bring me that plate? Looks like some of these babies are done cooking!" He excitedly asked. You nodded your head and brought the platter to him. Once outside you took a look at all of your friends laughing and having a good time in your backyard. It filled you with such happiness having them all together. Next door you saw Penny open the gate in the fence and come over to where you were standing. She gave you a large hug and you groaned in pain.

She looked at you funny, "Sorry I was late, I had to finish at the bar." She explained before giving Rooster a hug.

"It's no problem Penn. We just got started anyway. You came just in time, I'm starving!" You raved eyeing the hot dogs that Rooster just put on the platter. You immediately grabbed a bun and stuck the burning hot meat in the bread.

"You could wait till its cool Duchess" he laughed.

"Sorry. Can't. Haven't. Eaten. All day." You said in between huffing the hot air out of your mouth. It was true you had let time get the best of you today prepping everything for your first cookout at the new house. You and Rooster shared a nice one story, three bedroom house. Now your guests had a room to crash in instead of the couch many of them have manned before. You were handed a shot glass and took it without second thought downing the liquid easily. That's one thing that being with rooster did, you were one to handle your liquor. You sat down next to Maria and instantly looked adoringly at your husband. He was smiling wide and carefree. It was the first time in awhile you had really seen him happy. Now he had Maverick closer than ever which was a good thing for you both.

"Duchess" rooster moaned. He sounded as if he was in pain. You were standing in a dark hallway feeling uneasy. Something didn't seem right. You heard him cough and groan loudly. "Duchess!" He called out louder, the desperation was evident in his voice. Your heart raced. You had to get to him now. You tried the door next to you finding it locked. You jiggled the knob for good measure. Still locked.

"Rooster!" You yelled. He didn't respond. "Shit!" You cursed as you ran to the next door and found it locked as well. Your heart was pounding in your ears now. You kept trying but every door was locked. Your hands now shook violently. You could hear him wheezing. He wasn't doing well. Where the fuck was he?

"Duchess where are you? I need you!" He begged. You were sobbing now.

"I don't know how to find you!" You screamed. You kept running but the hallway never ended. The dark interior was not doing much to help your anxious mood. You began to run with no end in sight. You were running out of breath as his screams echoed in your ears. You stopped to breathe only momentarily when you felt a dark presence behind you. A door slammed causing you to jump.

You woke still nestled in Roosters side as he kept his eyes on the tv screen ahead. "You had an awful lot to say." He commented making you blush slightly.

"I was talking again wasn't I?" You groaned. He nodded his head slowly up and down still clearly into the movie he was watching. "Haven't done that in years." You commented and he kissed your forehead, "I'm sure it's just the excitement of the day babe. No need to worry." He told you softly. But on the inside you were still trying to shake the insanely real dream you just had. The sense of fear was still on your skin from another realm. It left you feeling odd. Cold, almost. You nestled yourself deeper into his warm side.

"What are you still doing up anyway?" You asked him seeing the time on your phone screen as you moved it out of the way. He was never up this late.

"I got really into the movie. And Bagman and Maria have been going at it for the last hour." He explained calmly. That's right you let them stay the night instead of driving home in their boozy state. "I'm surprised you couldn't hear it." He observed curiously.

"Maybe I was just taking advantage of the silence in here for once" you wiggled your eyebrows at him and he bit his lip.

"You're so beautiful Duchess." He stated simply. Inside your body your hormones surged to a new level.

"Thank you Bradley Bradshaw." You stared into his eyes enjoying the comfortable feeling they gave you.

A few weeks later you found yourself sitting down at the diner. "Pass the ketchup!" Fanboy requested. Bob slid the bottle over and went back to his meal. Rooster sat with his arm around your shoulders, resting on the top of the booth. He was leaned back and at ease. All the usual tension he held in his body was now gone. You had your left hand resting on his thigh in between his spread out legs. You used your right hand to grab the mini corn dog and stick it in your mouth. You were enjoying the delicious taste of one your favorite snack foods until the fifth chew. Something was off. Were these cooked all the way? Did you eat too much, too fast? You felt the nausea brew in your stomach. Quickly it was finding its way up your throat. You put your hand over your mouth pretending to be wiping some stray ketchup from the corner of your mouth. You gagged. Instantly your eyes darted across the way at Jake. He met your look with an odd expression. He was trying to understand what was going on with you. You heaved again, this time more violently as you tried to shove it down. You were barricaded in by Coyote. There was no quick escape if you needed to run to the restroom. Your eyes had a sense of panic to them. Your heart rate was dangerously fast but you were breathing in deep to keep the vomit at bay. Another heave, this time so strong it shook your shoulders forward. Rooster noticed now. His arm wrapped itself tightly around you. "Duchess?" His voice wavered with concern for you.

"I'm fine" you whispered as you continued to focus on not ruining everyone's meal. After a few moments the feeling passed. "That was gross" you announced trying to bring the mood back up. "Takes me back to flight school" you laughed.

"I think it was Bob who puked the most wasn't it?" Payback pointed across the table. Every one erupted into an argument over who threw up the most during your initial training. You leaned back into Roosters chest. He sighed deeply. The tension beginning to fill his body once again.

"I'm alright Bradley" you reassured him.

He kissed the top of your head, "I know you are" he agreed but you didn't buy it. He was just saving face in front of your friends. You closed your eyes and listened to everyone around you but it was the sound of Roosters heartbeat that kept you together.