2: The Soldiers' Grim Parade

The early morning sunlight doesn't wake you, even if its unrestrained rays pour freely into your inn room. No, you're awoken by the resounding clang of the city bells, the ring serving not only as your alarm but also as announcement of the Scouts' return.

They're back, and they're early. Early by several hours at least. The thought shocks you awake, your body already flying out of bed to hastily prepare for the day.

You shed one blue gown from its hanger in your wardrobe, tossing it onto your bed before stripping off your night clothes. Your changing of outfits is quick and frantic, only slowing when you have to carefully knot your apron or fix your shirt cuffs. After freshening up in the bathroom, you cross to the window and watch townspeople gather, awaiting the opening of the gates. Surveying the ground, you pluck one pea-shaped candy from Walter's basket on your bedside and pop it into your mouth. It's sweeter than you were expecting, but not overwhelming. That'll have to do for breakfast. You smooth out your gown and take a reassuring breath before darting out of your room, ready to witness the return.

You make it to the center of the street right when, in the distance, the outer gate begins rising. Silhouettes of the troops are barely visible beyond, a few noticeable individuals on horseback before the regiment becomes a blob of distal faces and bodies. They march in immediately, the sound of horseshoes on cobblestone drowned out by the repeating chime of the bell. You stand motionless as they approach, making out more and more details as the snake of an army drifts towards you. Commander Keith Shadis is easy to spot immediately; his tall frame allows him to stand out even if he wants to be hidden. He must, as the grief afflicting his troops seems to be crushing him the most. The townspeople have already gathered to spectate, lining the road to witness what remains of their hopeful spear.

"Miss, out of the way." To your side, a Garrison member hollers and waves an annoyed hand.

You nod and oblige, grateful for the distraction that reeled you out of your daze. Back to the task at hand, you finish crossing the street and dart into the hospital, finding it already bustling with claustrophobic activity. Nurses in the same uniform you're in are buzzing around the floor, making arrangements and chattering with each other.

Realizing you have to corral this group, you work your way through the crowd and make it to Clark's office, bypassing knocking and simply shoving your way inside.

"Clark," you call to the desk's occupant. "It's go time already. They're back."

"I know. We've got one hell of a day ahead of us." He rises from his seat, leaving behind the paperwork he had been finishing up. Standing before you, he looks you over before eyeing the commotion beyond his open door. "Are you ready?"

The time for pleasantries and warm feelings has passed; it's nothing but serious work now. Being busy feels miniscule in comparison to the raw emotions that are certainly going to surface. The pain of bearing witness to ruined soldiers, of experiencing their despair over and over, and of shouldering the burden of the citizens' backlash always feels impossible to take on. You're faced with that sinking feeling yet again, taking just a few seconds to linger in the eye of the hurricane before braving the storm. "I'm ready. Let's go."

Clark follows you into the main hallway, then calls the room to attention with a powerful, "Ladies and gentlemen! Please, ladies and gentlemen!"

Most personnel stop in their tracks, with just a few stragglers either slowing or disappearing into a room. Everybody knows Clark, and everybody knows to respect him.

"I'm sure you all already know that the Scouts are back. They're heading towards this building as I speak." He's scanning the crowd as he talks, gauging the reactions of his workers. "It's going to be hectic. It already is. However, I believe in this crew. Each one of you is plenty capable of taking care of our soldiers with the utmost of your abilities. Those of you who aren't assigned to helping the Scouts, please resume your duties. As for the others, I'd like you to turn your attention to your new supervisor."