6: From One Mourner To Another

Ruth and Gretel don't have much to say when you come back inside, only making sure that you're okay. You say you're fine, reassuring them that you had it under control. You did, after all. You know you did. He might've shaken you up, but he didn't win.

Entering Erwin's room, you find the section commander at a chair, reviewing a report someone must've given him. He's returned to his job as an officer as soon as he could, and he's likely going to be discharged tomorrow to continue his work.

"Good evening, Section Commander." You close the door with your back, clutching his coat tightly.

"Good evening." His features are softly lit by the candlelight, even his bruise looking fainter. "I saw Levi outside the window just now. Did he drop by?"

"Yes, he did." You nimbly cross closer to him, setting his coat on a nearby counter. "He dropped this off. Section Commander Miche sent him."

"I see. That's kind of him." Erwin nods to himself as he kept reading the paper in his hands.

"He...um, he hasn't been staying with the regiment," you report. "Not in the barracks or anything. He's just been wandering the streets the past few days."

"He has?" Erwin looks up, concern plastered on his face. "I didn't know that at all."

"Yeah. It surprised me too."

"I must find him, then. If he won't stay with the regiment, I need to get him lodgings elsewhere." Erwin's already rising from his seat, but you encourage him back down.

"I already got him a place. He's sheltered for tonight."

"That's...impressive." Erwin settles in his seat. "Did you rent a room for him? The regiment can reimburse you."

"No need. It's...I've already got it covered."

"I'll look into it," Erwin says anyways. "I hope he didn't give you too much trouble. He hasn't undergone the regular disciplinary training like our other soldiers. He was pulled from the streets, more or less."

You want to laugh at the uncovering of yet another aspect of Levi that separates him from the rest. The list is getting extensive, and you're mildly worried it's not even complete yet. A survivor. A new recruit. Brave. Powerful. Strong. Pretty, in your opinion. A natural. And undisciplined. He's been different since the moment you met him and he's only kept up that reputation ever since.

"He was alright. Nothing I couldn't handle."

"Good. I hope he can settle into the regiment soon enough." Erwin sighs, his frame slouching. "We're privileged to have his strength. I don't want him to regret his decision to join."

Miche did say something to that effect. "A lot of people have been saying he's incredible. I'm surprised such a new person has made such an impact on the regiment."

"He has. And he will. I'm sure of that." Erwin looks out the window, at the night sky outside. "I can overlook his lack of discipline if it means I get his talent. He lends his strength, and that's enough."

Truly, Levi's strength is all that attracts Erwin. Power that's strong enough to catch the attention of the level-headed Erwin Smith must be quite remarkable indeed, and your interest in its potential heightens with every discussion.

"Um, Section Commander Miche suggest I, and others, join the Scouts for training." You tug at a loose thread on your dress, unsure if you should be admitting your interest in the meager position. "Levi's talent has been talked up so much, I have to say I'm a little curious to witness it."

"Rightfully so. Most everyone is." Erwin flips his paper to the bottom of the stack and begins reading the next one. "And it would be a delight to have workers like you alongside us. The regiment would certainly benefit."