15: Kept Hidden, Only For Him

It's late. Moonlight sneaks into the crack you've opened in your saddlebag, landing upon the Wings of Freedom inside. You delicately take out the cloak, careful not to wake the nurses around you. Draping it over your shoulders, you feel blanketed in the same comfort felt when you had been dressed in it the first time. Its thick fabric weighs on your shoulders, warming your arms and protecting you with the same security Levi could offer. 

Pulling the hood over your head only envelops you further in its luxury, Levi's subtle scent evident and welcome. The cloak is imbued with hints of herbs and muted earthiness, blending together for a faint aroma reminiscent of black tea. It's soothing, and a tiny part of you wishes you could indulge in it more.

Leaving the women's cabin, you move slowly to keep your chemise from billowing wildly. You really did try to stay in casual clothes, but you were already receiving questions from the other women about plans for that night or why you're not getting ready for bed alongside them. There was no choice but to give in and change into nightwear. You only hope Levi won't tease you for it.

Arriving at the rear of the officers' cabin, you ascend the timber ladder and traverse the stuck blade with more agility than before. Easily making it to Levi's open window, you sit in the sill and slip your sandals off while scanning the room for him.

He's not in his chair this time. Now, he's on the left wall, sitting on the floor with his head leaning against the wall. He jolts up as soon as your shadow pours into his room, casting his eyes on his welcome visitor. He beckons immediately, rather urgently, then pats the floor next to him.

Obeying, you doff your hood as you creep towards him and descend to the floor, positioning yourself against the wall with just enough room between you and Levi. It's an unusual place to be situated, but Levi has silently commanded you with such adamancy you don't bother questioning it. You look to him for further instruction, and he responds by putting a finger to his lips before shooting a thumb at the wall behind him. 

Breaking the silence, muffled conversation is heard in the other room. You lean your head back, straining to make out what is being said. 

"...I know. And at this point, I've only received two answers." It's Erwin speaking. His voice is low, almost impossible to hear. 

"From who?" Keith is heard next, and he talks with less softness than Erwin.

"Ruth Montefiore and Robin Devereux. They're joining."

You hold your breath. Robin is joining, it turns out. He has spared no thoughts to his friends, but he's already submitted his decision with the same urgency as Ruth. Erwin and Keith are talking about the nurses' recruitment, like Erwin said they would. You're grateful for this chance to overhear their conversation, mentally thanking Levi for his hiding place. 

"Hm," Keith hums. "Two nurses are manageable. Maybe worth the risk. But eight? That's far too many untrained personnel to guard."

"We could say the same about supply wagons in general, sir. They're arduous, but they're worth it."

"We don't have the manpower to easily defend all those wagons now. The formation is smaller; you saw as much. There will be less soldiers to protect those that can't fight."

"Our numbers may have decreased, but we are stronger. I believe we can handle it."

"You're not referring to Levi, are you? One man can't defend sixteen wagons."

Beside you, Levi scoffs quietly.

"I understand that," Erwin says. "But his strength can act as our spear. Combined with the long distance formation, we're sure to create a safer situation overall. The more nurses I can reassure of this safety, the better."