3: Testing Patients and Patience

The next in line is Rashad, one of Hange's team leaders. He's in a room several doors down, another officer with the privilege of a private room. The lesser soldiers aren't so advantaged.

You enter to find Thea at his side, along with a male nurse you don't recognize. Rashad sees you, though he's a little preoccupied with his broken leg in Thea's hands. The fabric of his pants is cut at the thigh, and he's missing his sock and shoe.

"Thea. How are things?" You approach the bed.

"A clean oblique fracture of the tibia, from what I can tell. The fibula seems intact." She gingerly runs a hand along his hairy leg, curving her hand underneath his calf.

"Okay." His calf is bent, but skin hasn't been broken. The fractured bone within didn't pierce flesh. "It certainly needs resetting, yes?"

"Yeah." Thea nods, her lips curling in.

You look up at Rashad, finding him warily observing his inspection. "Squad Leader, you understand what we have to do, right?"

"Sure do." He's already wincing, but he won't be a chicken about it.

"We're going to set the bone, then get you situated in a cast. Are you ready?"

"I guess so," he says weakly.

"Okay. It won't take long. Shouldn't hurt much, either." You circle to Thea's side of the bed, wedging yourself between her and the male nurse.

"Can you handle this?" Thea asks anxiously, hoping you will take on the work she's hesitant about performing.

"Yes." You replace her hands with yours, gently holding the angled calf. "If you'd like, you can go prepare the plaster. Is that alright?"

"Absolutely," Thea consents. "Let's go, Robin."

Her and the male nurse leave the room to prepare the splint, leaving you alone with your unfortunate torture victim.

"You can trust me, Squad Leader. I'm quite capable in this field." You give a kind smile as you continue feeling the length of his leg, gently palming the area where the bone has raised his skin. "Not to brag," you add.

"I don't doubt you," he says. "Doesn't mean I'm looking forward to the pain."

"It's not as bad as you think," you soothe.

"Yeah? Have you ever had this done to you before?"

"No." You look up at him while positioning your hands in the best position for readjustment. "How about this: you can break my leg afterwards, then reset it, too. Then I'll know what it's like."

This elicits a smile from him, which escalates to a laugh. "Yeah, right. I don't think—agh! D-damn!" he cries as you pull his bone back into place.

"Sorry," you singsong sweetly, smoothing a hand over the properly-shaped leg. "See? Not so bad."

Rashad groans painfully, not fully appreciative of your consolation. He tries to relax his tense body, sinking his stiff back into his pillows. "You shouldn't stare at me when you do that," he scolds halfheartedly. "I can almost see the delight in your eyes."

"No delight, Squad Leader. None at all." You're a nurse, not a sadist. "Just had to get it over with. Now then, we'll get you all plastered up. I'm sure Thea will run over the basics with you."

"Great," he sighs. "Thanks for torturing me."

"No problem." He's being amiable despite the suffering, and you're happy to meet his energy.

Thea returns immediately, joined by Robin. They're carrying the necessary supplies to start a cast, and they're willing to get the job done. "Well done," Thea congratulates as she returns to her side. "We can manage from here, if you'd like. Clark says you should tend to as many patients as possible."