Chapter 5: Youngest Siblings

Earlier...

"Okay," was all Luz said after Stringbean finished telling Luz what had happened when Lucia ran after the demon bringing the witch up to date.

"Thank you Stringbean, I want you to find Lucia and tell her to come back if she isn't already," Luz stated as the snake that sat in front of her shifted fully into a bat and lifted its wings about to lift off before Luz quickly spoke.
"But..." Stringbean put her wings down but shifted her body back to her snake form. "I need you to do one more thing once you're done..."

"I need you to fly up and find me Azura volume seven, it's just like the book other books I've been reading except, of course, it has the number seven on it," Luz twirled her finger making an illusion of the book allowing Stringbean to get an idea of what the book looks like.
"See it'll be just like this, maybe the cover will be different but that doesn't matter. Just look for this and grab it for me," Luz said pointing to the illusion book's spine with the title and volume number.
"Just hold onto it and I'll find you okay."

Luz POV: Present Time

"Hey, String bean! Did you-" I stopped myself as I saw a human, a girl to be exact, standing at the other end of the bookshelf looking towards Stringbean before two changed their attention towards me.
She had brown hair that was half up-half down with gold eyes almost like the twins but more gold than dull unlike theirs. She had a lighter skin tone compared to most with a slight tan making her not pale like most humans I see around the market.
She had a grey hooded zip-up jacket that covered a white and pink shirt of sorts. She also wore seemingly dark purple shorts with lilac trimming along with regular white shoes that were neatly knotted.

It took me a second to get out of my trance when the realization of the situation set in.
"Oh, man! Oh, man! what do I do? I can't just say this is my pet snake-bat hybrid! They don't even exist! Plus I can't even play it off cause I'm sure she knows Stringbean's mine, I JUST called her! I could do what mom taught us... But that'd mean we'd mess up her mind and Lucia would get on to me! Dang it!"

I changed my attention back to the girl in front of me observing her body language.
She was in a trance of sorts just keeping eye contact and not showing much emotion besides shock, she's probably thinking about the situation too.
"Okay... maybe it wouldn't be so bad to erase one person's mind on this trip... but that wouldn't be nice to do that to a pretty girl my age... right? Wait pretty?!"

I kept flustering for a second before I heard loud familiar footsteps from not too far. It broke both me and the girls staring contest as we heard the monstrous voice of Lucia calling for me somewhere nearby.
"Oi, Luz! Where you at?!" She yelled as I started to panic at how close her steps were getting.

I had no time to think and act all out of instinct. I quickly ran past Stringbean, who shifted back to her original form (dropping the book) and wrapped herself around my arm once I ran by. I used abomination magic to cover the girl's mouth and tie her up. She panicked and squirmed which caused her to fall to the pavement as she began moving away from me accidentally hitting her back on the shelf.
"Don't move or make noise!" I whispered as I heard her muffled "What"
"Trust me, I'm helping you!" I cast an invisibility spell on the girl right as Lucia turned the corner.

"There you are! Did you not hear me yelling!" Lucia yelled in her usual annoyed tone as I quickly turned to Her playing it off. I was nervous as Lucia had her back straight and walked with purpose and her eyebrows furrowed together. I wonder if the girl has the same reaction as anyone else in the isles, getting scared and running away or becoming unconscious out of fear.

"Ah, sorry I didn't realize it was you," I said while scratching my head as Lucia raised her eyebrow.

"Hey....," Lucia said as my anxiety skyrocketed as the worst-case scenario came to mind where the girl had moved and Lucia was seeing her right about now or Lucia was already reading my thoughts and demeanor.
"What did Eda say about our palismans, put Stringbean away! Or at least hide her if your gonna have her close," Lucia yelled in a low voice, I took a deep breath while Stringbean moved up resting her head on my shoulder per usual.