Chapter 6

Nozomi tapped aimlessly on one of his burner phones. The Tetris jingle played quietly in the bustling train station.

Nozomi had a large puffy jacket, the hood pulled over his head. With the black surgical mask, wig, and contact lenses, all mass manufactured, he was sure he was completely anonymous.

His attention was no longer focused on his Tetris game; the train beside him screeched to a halt. He smiled behind his mask. This payout would be fantastic.

His target, one CEO for a clothing company, exited the opening door of the train. His clothes didn't have a wrinkle. In his hands, a dark leather briefcase.

Nozomi wasn't one for meticulous planning, but he hadn't failed yet. Then again, it wasn't like one of his employers would come out and say that he had failed them. The anonymous figure of the 'Hopebringer' wasn't exactly someone you wanted to offend.

His body count was around 400 at this point, but he hadn't been counting. All he cared about was the cash that this endeavor had brought them. He had bought a nice apartment for Makoto, Komaru, and himself as soon as he could. That had definitely cut into his savings, but he still bought presents for Komaru with his 'paycheck.'

She was still so humble, so sweet, always so happy when she brought him gifts.

Nozomi stood, following his target's well groomed head. He hadn't noticed his shorter shadow yet.

The streets were silent and dark as Nozomi followed the man to his house. Honestly, this was one of the worst parts of the job. So boring.

The man stepped in his nice home.

He lived alone. He had a cat. Nozomi had done plenty of research and watched the house for days.

It was quick. Boring, really. What he wouldn't give for an interesting challenge!

As Nozomi carved the kanji delicately into the CEO's skin, his burner phone pinged.

Removing his glove, he tapped the buttons impatiently.

Eyes scanning the screen, he stopped, dead.

Byakuya Togami. The screen read, the pixelated characters jumping out and almost mocking him.

The starting price almost made Nozomi jump out of his skin. 6 billion yen.

He cleaned up quickly, snapping a quick photo of the kanji he had carved, exiting the home with an extra spring in his step.

-

"Hagakure," Nozomi stopped the man exiting the dining hall. The two were alone, and if Nozomi was actually going to kill someone, now would be the time.

He poked the tip of the knife in his pocket, hard enough to sting but gentle enough to not break skin. His hand twitched.

No! He reminded himself firmly. He wasn't going to kill anyone. He had already decided. He had said so already.

Still, that didn't mean he wasn't tempted...

"Nozomi," Hagakure rubbed the back of his head. "That's you, isn't it?"

"How could you tell?" Nozomi smiled widely.

Hagakure shivered at the expression. "You talk different."

"Do I?" Nozomi's smile widened. "Anyway, I'm gonna cut to the chase." He giggled. "Get it!" He mimed a slash with a fake knife. "Cut to the chase?"

He laughed loudly. Hagakure smiled nervously.

"I want that money," he whispered. "My third kill, my first contract murder, I accepted 25,000 yen."