𝟎𝟔. best friend

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱. best friends
:: bellysbonrad

conrad was watching stella talk with cam in the living room.

he grasped onto his cup like he needed extra support just to look at the duo. stella was smiling and so was cam. just the sight of it all- the sight of cameron in his house, talking with stella- made conrad need extra support.

"what are you staring at?" belly walked up to conrad, taking a seat next to him.

"nothing." he averted his eyes.

"stella? and cam? what's so interesting about them?" belly raised her brows.

"nothing."

"you seem oddly interested in whatever's going on over there. just go join their conversation. cam's nice- i doubt he would mind."

belly had forgotten who would mind if conrad joined the conversation.

"cameron's nice i guess. stella would beat me if i joined the conversation though." conrad chuckled, taking another sip of his water.

"she didn't always hate you." belly told him.

"what are you talking about?" conrad turned to watch belly.

"remember? when stella was 12? up until she turned 12, she didn't hate you."

of course. of course, conrad remembered.

laurel's family had been coming to cousins ever since conrad, jere, steven, belly, and stella were a baby. and back then, the dynamics were completely different.

conrad and stella were best friends. it was pure bliss. they would swim together- conrad was the one who taught stella how to swim. they would go ride bikes everywhere. they would play games all the time. they shared secrets.

"wanna race?" stella asked with a glint in her eyes.

"of course," conrad answered.

the duo started peddling their bikes faster, racing to the end of the road.

"catch me if you can!" stella giggled, biking away from the boy.

"stop! wait up!"

"since i won, you have to buy me ice cream. it's the rules. it's in the rule book." stella told the boy.

the rule book. stella and conrad had made it when they were 7 years old. conrad wrote some basic friendship rules and stella decorated them with the stickers she got for christmas.

"rule number one: never spilling the beans about each other's secrets." stella told conrad, who jotted it down.

"rule number two: buying ice cream to the winner of every game or race."