𝟏𝟖. it's better this way

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧. it's better this way
:: scottstreets

conrad got home at around 11 p.m. he was tired of the party, and he wanted to go home before the moms did.

he said goodbye to nicole and they drove home separately. nicole wanted to stay for a while longer, so she was going to find a ride with someone else.

"i'm gonna go home." conrad told the girl.

"what? i wanna stay longer." nicole frowned.

"okay." conrad nodded.

"stay with me?" she tugged on his shirt.

"my mom's waiting for me. i think she wants to finish a portrait tonight."

susannah wasn't waiting for him. she was out with laurel, very drunk. she hasn't started painting yet either.

"ugh, fine. i'll catch a ride home."

"alright. 'night."

nicole seemed disappointed, but conrad didn't see it. of course he didn't see it. he just rushed home.

when he opened the door to his house, he went upstairs, to find stella's room empty. he's mind went blank and then he searched every room upstairs.

when he saw that she wasn't there, he rushed downstairs, into the living room, then the kitchen.

then he saw her.

she was sitting down by the pool, holding a mug, and a bottle of tequila. her feet were circling around in the pool water, creating light ripples. she was lit up by the pool, and she took a sip of her drink in the mug.

conrad watched her for a bit.

he watched her as she finished the mug. she didn't realize he was there.

he went into the fridge and took out a beer. he stood, leaning against the fridge, not taking his eyes off of the girl as he took a sip of his beer.

stella picked up the tequila bottle and took a huge gulp, making conrad laugh a little bit.

she put the bottle down, and lied down. her hair fanned out over the concrete, and her shirt was rising up her stomach, revealing her belly button.

she stayed still for a while. conrad wondered if she passed out.

then she raised her arms, pressing her hands against her eyes.

conrad watched her.

he watched her as she started shaking. at first, he thought she was laughing- you know, when you're drunk and absolutely everything seems funny. but he realized she was crying.

crying a lot. sobbing. uncontrollably.

he scrunched his eyebrows without realizing, like you do when something physically hurts. but watching her like this- it hurt him. his chest felt heavy, but he couldn't look away.