𝟎𝟖. birthday dinner

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭. birthday dinner
:: bellysbonrad

when susannah and stella were done with the groceries, they sat down by the beach, staring at the sun setting already.

stella had her head on susannah's shoulder. they sat in silence, watching the small waves crash into the sand.

"i wish me and conrad were still friends." stella blurted out.

stella never spoke about her friendship, which was now dead, with anyone. sometimes, she would think about it briefly before tucking the memories away and drifting into sleep. but now, she thought about it always every day. somedays, she would be mad that conrad just decided to be a shitty friend out of nowhere. somedays, she regretted dumping him as a friend because she missed him. however, the friendship ended and it would be worthless to go back to him after all these years of hatred.

susannah didn't say anything and just wrapped one arm around stella.

"conrad and i just used to get each other, you know? like i could tell him anything. he could tell me anything. there would be no judgment." stella continued.

"everything was so perfect and then out of nowhere- out of nowhere, he turned into an ass."

once stella started talking about conrad, she couldn't stop. it was like a dam had broken.

"it was different from the bond i have with belly or steven or jere. he was my person." stella's voice went quiet at the last word.

"honey," susannah rubbed her arm. "friendships are weird. one second everything is going great the next second, secrets are made and bonds break and you don't know why."

stella nodded. this was exactly it. she didn't know why conrad turned into an ass overnight.

"i wish i could ask conrad what happened for you." susannah told her.

"but he doesn't tell me anything nowadays."

stella nodded, watching the waves crash. the sun was setting, the blue water was crashing into the beige sand.

she didn't know what crashed harder- the waves or her friendship with conrad.

☼      ☼      ☼

"this is delicious." cam smiled, pointing to his food.

the two families sat in their usual spots, with taylor and cam added into the circle. cam sat in between belly and stella and taylor sat next to belly. steven, jeremiah, and conrad sat on the opposite side of the dinner table. the moms sat at the head of the table.

"yeah, it's really good, mom." belly added.

"amazing, laur." jeremiah smiled.

"of course it is." susannah grinned.