07

Sometimes you have to be a sub for your boyfriend Eddie's Dungeons & Dragons games

Sometimes you have to be a sub for your boyfriend Eddie's Dungeons & Dragons games. Today is one of those days.

At lunch, he pulled you aside, begging you to fill in as Mike had supposedly fallen ill. Eddie only ever asks you if he's desperate; he knows you're not the world's biggest D&D fan.
You'd do anything for Eddie, so like always - you agreed. Besides, when you do sub, you get to spend more time with him, which is always a bonus.

When the bell rang for the end of the day, you began to pack your stuff away, ready to head off for the hideout. However, your teacher had other plans.
"Miss Y/L/N? Please can I borrow you for a minute or two?" You hear a voice as you get to the door. Groaning inwardly, you turn back on your heel, a fake smile plastered on your expression.
"Yes, of course."

By the time you're able to leave the classroom, you're already 15 minutes late. You rush down the corridors, racing to the hideout. Throwing open the door, you stumble through.

"I'm so so sorry I'm late Eds, my teacher held me back to talk about homework and they were rambling on and on and I've only just managed to get away and I ran all the way here and I'm really out of breath and I've got a huge stitch," you ramble all at once - much to the alarm of the club. You take in a lungful of air, gripping your side where the stitch you mentioned is shooting stabbing pains through your body.

Eddie blinks a couple of times, before laughing at your sudden entrance as he walks towards you with open arms. "Y/N I thought you weren't going to make it."
"I wouldn't let you down, Eds, you know that," you say as he envelops you in a quick hug. "I'm really sweaty, sorry."
"Meh, I don't care." He places a quick kiss on your forehead before gesturing at the table behind him. "You're just in time anyway. We thought we'd wait for you for a little while and we were just going to discuss postponing-" he shudders at the thought, "-when you burst in!"

"I really am sorry Eddie and everyone else." You look around the room, giving everyone an apologetic smile.
"It's not your fault," Dustin smiles back.
"Yeah, and you're here now. That's all that matters," Mike adds.

A loud clang draws everyone's gaze to Eddie, who has taken his makeshift throne as dungeon master, as he hits a small gong placed on the table beside him. His eyes swivel over the room, making sure he has everyone's full attention. "Let's begin!" he announces, his voice almost taking the form of a demonic spirit. He briefly winks at you, eliciting a smile from you, before you take your place at the table.

One thing you admire about Eddie is the way he throws himself into the things he's passionate about. The way he makes the role of dungeon master so entertaining - even for you - is something you love to see.

Over an hour later, the quest has nearly come to an end and you're so close to defeating Vecna. "Two brave soldiers remain. Lady Applejack and Sorcerer Bluewater. Vecna eyes you both as he says 'It's over. Admit defeat. It's your time to DIE.'" Eddie's voice distorts into a frightening, gravelly tone as he speaks as Vecna. "Lady Applejack, it's your turn, so what are you going to do? Run? Or stay and fight."
"Fight!" Erica exclaims, already grabbing her dice.
"As you wish." Eddie gestures for her to roll.

The dice leave her hands. They clatter to a stop right by Eddie. He looks down on them. "THAT'S A MISS!" He shouts, throwing his head around, performing his favourite line as dungeon master.

Your eyes widen when you realise that the fate of the game's ending lies with you.
"Shit," you mutter under your breath.
Catching your eye, Eddie gives you a small nod of encouragement. "Lady Applejack has fallen and all hope remains with the great Sorcerer Bluewater. Will you attack or will you run? There's no shame in running, sweetheart."
You remember Vecna's words as you decide what to do. You can feel everyone's eyes on you, willing you to attack.
"I'll attack," you say, giving Eddie an attempt at a confident smile.

"Very well. Take your roll." He leans forward, smiling as he opens his arms out towards you, indicating for you to continue.

You pick up the dice. Every pair of eyes in the room is trained on your hands as you begin to shake them. You feel a bead of sweat appear on your forehead due to the pressure. Before you can overthink it anymore, you let go, throwing the dice onto the table in front of you.
The clattering of the dice against the wood of the table echoes around the room. The dice come to a stop one by one as everyone leans in closer.

4. 4. 5. 1.

The air changes as everyone takes a deep breath. The final die spins around, taking its time. After what feels like minutes, it rattles to a stop.

6.
That means the total is...
"20! You attack Vecna and destroy him. YOU WIN!" Eddie yells as everyone begins to celebrate.
You stand there in disbelief whilst your fellow players bustle around you in excitement. You never thought you'd win a game for the team. It's a great feeling.

Looking up, you meet eyes with Eddie. He's smiling at you, sitting in his seat. You walk over to him and he pulls you onto his lap, holding you close. "That was quite a game Y/N. I'm proud of you." He murmurs into your hair.
"Thanks Eds, it wasn't too bad actually. I had fun."
"Well, you could always join the club." You feel his chest vibrate as he begins to laugh. As much as you love and support him, he knows you wouldn't agree to that.
"Mm. Yeah definitely," you joke, joining in on his laughter, as you both soak in the joyful atmosphere surrounding you, thanks to your win.

Maybe one day you'll join the club. But for now, subbing in is more than enough. Even if it was really fun.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
thank you so much for 400 and very nearly
500 reads!!!
all my love 💗💖💘💕

ALSO I AM SO CONFUSED i thought the hideout was the name of the room where they played d&d but now I'm reading stories of it being a pub/place where Eddie plays his gigs so if that's true then where the hell did I get the idea that it's the name of the d&d lair thing LIKE WHAT 😭😭😭
anyways I've been calling it the hideout so far in any imagines that mention it so just go with it even if it is wrong 💀

oh! and....
yesterday i published a joe quinn social
media fic! please check it out,
thank you!!! <33

ok that's it from me!
i hope you enjoyed!
and
thank you for reading <3
- mia💌