09

Another lunch break at Hawkins High was dragging on for what felt like forever

Another lunch break at Hawkins High was dragging on for what felt like forever. It seemed like every second stretched into hours. Sitting at the table with your idiotic cousin Jason Carver and his irritating preppy friends would be the end of you one day. You despised sitting with Jason, but it wasn't like you had much choice.

When you first moved to Hawkins, the only person you knew was your cousin. At first, you were grateful to know someone and have him show you around. But, he started to pick on people in front of you, making you grow all the more uncomfortable around him and his group. By then, it was too late and you were stuck.

Thankfully, there was one person you got on well with, and the only person you could call a true friend - Jason's girlfriend, Chrissy. You thought she was much too kind and considerate to be with someone like Jason, but you felt it wasn't your place to judge.

Playing with your food, you were zoned out from the conversation. Normally, with Chrissy by your side, you would at least try and make an effort to join in. However, Chrissy was at an appointment with the school's counsellor, Miss Kelley, so you chose to sit in silence instead.

"-or a game where you toss balls into laundry baskets!" A voice breaks through your trance. You turn your head and see Eddie Munson, the school's supposed 'freak', standing on a table, in the midst of one of his rants. You'd never spoken to Eddie, but something intrigued you about him. You had a feeling you would get along if it wasn't for Jason. He'd warned you multiple times about hanging out with Eddie, and you tended to just go along with what Jason wanted, for an easier life.

"You want something, freak?" Jason catches your attention as he stood up to yell back at Eddie. Rolling your eyes at your cousin, you look back to Eddie, waiting for his response.
He pulls his hands up to the side of his head, his fingers mimicking devil horns. His tongue flicks out as a garbled, demonic sound comes from his mouth. A loud laugh erupts from your own mouth as you watch this. Jason glares at you, before calling Eddie a prick and sitting back down.

As you look back down at your food, you can feel a different pair of eyes on you. Knowing who they belong to, your gaze goes back once more onto Eddie. Upon noticing you looking, a smile grows on his face, his eyes seeming kind, with a shadow of a dimple on his cheek. His hands slowly come down, back to his sides, as he begins to turn on his heel to walk back across the table to his seat. His  warm smile stays etched in your brain, as an unusual sensation fills your stomach. Surely you weren't getting butterflies from Eddie Munson?

Not long after, the bell rings, signalling the end of lunch. By then, you've made your decision. Screw Jason. You're going to speak to Eddie.

Looking around, through the sea of bodies fighting to get through the doors, you spot Eddie somewhere in the middle. You race over, pushing through people, apologising as you go. "Eddie!" You call out, although you've lost sight of him now. You keep pushing through anyway, and eventually find yourself on the other side of the doors, in the corridor. Scanning the surrounding area, you don't see him anywhere. "Shit," you mutter under your breath.

You stand there for a while, letting the surge of people overtake you, hoping to catch a glimpse of Eddie. But, no luck. Just as you're about to give up, two hands gently grip onto your shoulders, making you jump. You let out a small scream from being scared.
"Sorry," a voice says behind you.
Turning around, you gasp once again. "Eddie? I thought you'd gone!"
He chuckles, putting his hands into his pockets. "Nope. I heard you calling my name, so I hid waiting for everyone to leave. Don't fancy being beaten up by your cousin today."
"He wouldn't beat you up for speaking to me."
Eddie raises his eyebrows in disbelief. "Okay, maybe it is better safe than sorry."
"Exactly." He smiles that same smile from earlier, sending another flurry through your stomach.

"So," he says after a while. "What did you need me for? If it's a deal you want, I can meet you after school and-"
"No, no," you cut him off. "I don't want anything like that. I just..."
"You just...?" He smirks, crossing his arms, his head falling to the side slightly.
"Wanted to talk I guess?" You clear your throat, feeling awkward. "Just because, y'know, we've never really spoken before and I feel like you're quite interesting and, surprisingly, seem really nice, so I thought it might be nice to talk a little. Or not. I don't know. I could just go." You ramble, beginning to walk backwards.

Eddie chuckles again, his eyes lighting up with amusement. "No, you don't have to go. If you want to talk, we can talk. I've got a free period now. I have somewhere nearby we can go?"
You narrow your eyes. "Your dealing spot?"
"Maybe," he winks, before continuing. "But, sometimes it's just a nice spot to relax too."
"Okay, let's go then." You shrug, beginning to walk down the corridor once more. Suddenly, his hand pulls you back slightly.
"It's this way." He points in the opposite direction, trying not to laugh.
You flash him a small smile and gesture for him to go ahead. "Maybe you should lead the way."
"Good idea, Y/N."

As Eddie's retreating figure walks ahead of you, you stand there for a few seconds, heart beating rapidly. You've only been in his presence for less than five minutes. But, you already feel more comfortable than you have around anyone at this new school, apart from maybe Chrissy. You're excited as to what could happen between you and Eddie. It would be nice to have at least one more friend of your choosing. If not something more.

"You coming?" Eddie shouts back over his shoulder.
You jog after him to catch up. "Yeah!"

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
hi! i didn't know how to end
this one oops so sorry if it seems
a bit off idk

also apologies for not uploading this
yesterday, it wasn't quite finished
as I've had a couple of busy days!
but it's here now!

hope you enjoyed!
and
thank you for reading <3
- mia 💌