{ 8: Souls of the Dead }

* * *

8

———————————————————————

Souls of the Dead

THE Kingdom of Sidiem had one particular difference that separated itself from the other four nations; they adopted the traditions of human governments, disregarding the opinions of those who sought Royal blood. They allowed the mingling of different species, welcomed the ability to vote for Dukes and Duchesses, and followed a concept of law that allowed a jury and a judge.

Only the King and Queen remained the same, their nearly extinct species adorning them with crowns and deeming them worthy of all compliance and respect. The White Wolves, who belonged to the family of the King, were treated like any other citizen unless they acquainted themselves with politics. The Red Foxes of the Queen's family rarely involved themselves in any governmental branch, whether it be legislative, executive or judicial. They were more interested in the lustrous sheen of jewels than the government which controlled its production.

Moira had told her stories of all kinds, exciting her with the prospect of crystals and stones that glittered brighter than the stars; a civilization that allowed different species to live amongst each other, united by the crown. She had listened to him with awe-filled eyes, glowing ecstatically, more so at the prospect of crystal swords than anything else.

But, that had been five years ago, and Lykalis never stepped foot in the land of Sidiem.

As an Heiress, she was accustomed to minimal times of freedom, hands filled with books of political agreements and historical dispositions.

With Sidiem so close to their borders, there was an unspoken hostility which rivaled that of a dog and a cat waging war over a strip of land. To quell any paranoia and starve a rivalry forged of cynicism, there were articulated agreements in regards of traversing on respective territories.

There was a rigorous requirement that authorized travelers enter the Capital of each kingdom. The arrangement worked both ways, and those who failed to follow them usually perished.

Lykalis gazed down at the grande walls of the Capital, glistening with vines wrapping upwards in a splash of rust and auburn, tangled with metallic bricks that stretched for miles on either end. The guards beneath were tiny, ant-like from where she was perched.

Sidiem had countless skyscrapers, stretching towards the clouds, but not high enough to reach them. With the inability to fly, Lykalis didn't understand why they'd need such tall buildings.