Chapter 7

With his leg bound and immobilized, the cast was quite bulky and awkward, he couldn't walk so four footmen carried him to the gardens. Huxley assured him they were working on making him some crutches.

It was October so the gardens were a bit chilly. Miss Rhodes had the maid fetch a blanket to cover his lap. They were seated on a stone bench near the fountain and apple trees. Of course, the fountain wasn't on, and the trees were barren, but it was refreshing to breathe clean air for a change and not the stink of his rotting flesh.

"What are your other interests?" Miss Rhodes asked.

Ethan looked at her dubiously.

"Besides horseback riding and running your estate. Do you like to read? Paint? Play the pianoforte?"

He laughed at that.

"What then?" she persisted.

He looked up. "I like to study the sky. The stars."

Miss Rhodes followed his gaze. It was a cloudy gray day with storm clouds in the west.

"That explains why you named your horse Aquila after the constellation."

Ethan looked at her surprised. Most people didn't know that.

"You are interested in the study of astrology?" he asked intrigued.

She shrugged one delicate shoulder. "I like to read."

"Have you visited the library here at Lavender Hall?" he inquired.

She shook her head and smiled. "I've been busy."

"You should go, we have hundreds of books. I'll show you when we return inside." he promised, oddly pleased at the prospect. He didn't often have visitors at Lavender Hall and few who shared the same interests as him.

"No, you need your rest and I'm here to work, not read." she reminded him.

He was disappointed by her response. Was she always so structured and focused on all her tasks?

"What will you do when you leave here?" he asked.

"I don't know. Depends on where the agency sends me."

"You really believe it wasn't an accident?" he repeated.

She looked straight into his ocean blue eyes and didn't falter in her response.

"I really don't."