Chapter 12

Ethan was unsettled by the overwhelming emotions he'd felt when Emma said she would be leaving. He had not considered her departure. He'd grown used to her being around. Fussing about his person, telling him he was wrong and what he must do. She had a quick wit that matched his own and until she arrived, he realized he had no true friends. No one to talk with or argue or laugh or fight. But he had been content he didn't know any better. Once she left however, she would leave a gaping hole. He must find a way to make her stay.

"This is amazing," she said upon entering the library. It was in the east wing and the floor to ceiling windows caught the morning sunlight. Books lined the walls while comfortable chairs were placed before a roaring fire. Here Ethan sat while she went from shelf to shelf choosing books here and there and exclaiming over her discoveries.

Daisy sat by his side, and he absently ruffled her ears. He did wish Emma would wear something other than gray though. She was beautiful, of course he had noticed but it was as if she tried to hide it. Covering herself in that dreadful gray, her hair always in a tight bun. He longed to see her in something else, any other color would do, with her hair free and flowing. How long would it fall? To her shoulders? Her waist?

Emma returned with an armful of books breaking into his thoughts.

"If only I had time to read them all," she sighed, sitting in the chair beside him.

"You have time." he assured her.

Emma looked about the large room. "But not enough."

"You can always visit."

She patted Daisy on the head. "I travel for work. I never know where I'll be, and Lavender Hall isn't exactly on the way to anywhere."

This was true. Would he never see her again after she left?

"Will you miss it here?" But what he really meant was, will you miss me?

Emma nodded. "Yes. Especially Daisy. You will keep her, won't you?"

As if he could say no. "Of course."

Emma smiled.

"Have you heard from your family recently?"

Her gaze shuttered. "No. They'll have left the farm by now."

"I'm sure you'll hear something soon." Ethan assured her.

She slowly nodded, "Should I call for tea?"

"Yes, please do."

Emma stood up.

"And something else Emma?"

She turned back around.

"I'd like you to join me for supper."