Chapter 17

Emma donned her usual gray gown in the morning and twisted her hair into its customary bun.

She sighed. Perhaps it was for the best. She couldn't allow herself to act on her feelings toward Ethan. He was a member of the nobility, and she was just a nurse on temporary assignment. It was foolish of her to hope for more. She'd already made peace with the fact she'd never marry or have children, wishing that would change could only lead to heart break.

When she reached Ethan's door, she heard voices inside. After knocking with no response, she entered. The sight that greeted her was not a welcome one.

Francesca was back.

Dressed in a ruby red gown with a neck adorned with jewels she was feeding Ethan fruit from a plate on her lap.

"I'm so pleased you're feeling better," Francesca said, "I've missed you."

"The feeling is mutual my dear," he responded.

What was happening? Emma thought. Why is Ethan being so nice to Francesca? And when did she arrive? Last night? Her heart clenched. How could he bring her here after kissing her?

"Good morning," she called to get their attention.

Francesca turned around and glared angrily at her.

"Oh, you're still here." Her deadpanned response was not unexpected.

"Yes, I am. Lord Salisbury is still recovering." Emma crossed to the bed. "I trust you slept well."

"Very well," he replied, looking at Francesca. She was now feeding him a strawberry.

"Any more headaches?"

"No."

"Shall I have a breakfast tray brought up for you?"

"The fruit is enough."

"Yes, we are fine here you may go," said Francesca, jerking her head to the door.

"I'll need to do an examination."

"There will be time later," said Ethan smiling at Francesca who gave him a sultry grin.

"You're certain you are not in any pain?"

"I'm quite well. Thank you, Miss Rhodes. Why don't you see if Daisy needs to go out?"

So, she was back to being Miss Rhodes, was she?

"Of course. I shall return in an hour for your examination."

"Finally, she left!" Francesca exclaimed once Emma had closed the door. "My she is a bore. How do you put up with her?"

"She did save my life." Ethan reminded her.
Francesca tittered, "Who, says she did? You're still here because the good lord decided it wasn't your time yet. Now who is this, Daisy?"

Emma sighed and began walking toward the stairs.

Maybe it was for the best. At least Francesca knew her place. And her presence reminded Emma of hers.

She was a servant and apparently a dog sitter.