Chapter 38

Ethan had many redeeming qualities. He was kind, generous and brave. But it was his good heart that Emma loved best. It wouldn't be obvious to most people but once you got to know him and he let down his walls he revealed the sensitive and sweet person he was.

After breakfast they spent a cozy morning in the library with Daisy, reliving old times when Emma would read, and Ethan would listen. Besides Ethan, books where the next thing Emma would miss most. They were few and far to come by in her village and most of her patients did not keep a large selection or one at all. It was common for those not of the aristocracy to be uneducated and have minimal reading and writing skills. It was why she insisted that Ethan hire a tutor for young Jeremiah Clove. He did of course and Emma was told, doing quite well in his studies. Jeremiah promised to keep an eye on Daisy after she was gone to make sure she was happy and getting enough exercise. She feared Ethan would be quite melancholy and Emma didn't want Daisy to adopt the same mood. Emma didn't want Ethan to go back to being his grumpy and roguish self again after she left. At least he acknowledged he couldn't keep her.

They had tea and tomato and cheese sandwiches in the afternoon. Then Emma put Ethan through some exercises to strengthen his leg. In the early days of their relationship, he would have put up a fight and complained and made some comment about her dull attire. Not that he could say anything about today as she wore a stunning violet gown. But now he did none of those things and simply obeyed.

Before they adjoined to prepare for supper, Huxley presented Emma with another letter from home. Mother said the family was doing well and to once again extend her thanks to Lord Salisbury for his generous intervention. She also mentioned Peter and included a warning she heard he was headed to Lavender Hall. A pity the post was so slow it would have been helpful to have had some time to prepare for Peter's arrival. Huxley had sent him off with the land steward for a tour of the grounds today so Emma and Ethan would not be disturbed. Emma was grateful, Peter was quite getting on her nerves!

"Everything alright?" Ethan asked when Emma finished the letter.

She placed the envelope in her skirt pocket, "Yes. Mother thanks you again for your help."

"She should be thankful for having such a wonderful daughter."

Emma smiled, "I'm sure she is." Emma kissed his cheek. "I'll see you in an hour for supper."

"We'll be dining somewhere different tonight." Ethan informed her.

"Oh?" Emma asked, surprised. "And where's that?"

Ethan grinned mischievously. "You'll see."

When Emma returned to her room Eleanor was waiting.

"Let me guess," Emma said, "Ethan has already decided what gown I'll be wearing this evening."

Eleanor smiled broadly, "You do know him so well Emma. Come look! Isn't it gorgeous?"

It was indeed. The gown was ruby red with ruffled sleeves just over the shoulders and a sweetheart neckline. The skirt was voluminous and would accentuate her small waist. It was made of silk and fluid to the touch.

"Your hair should be up I think." Eleanor mused.

Emma nodded.

"Oh, Emma I'm going to miss you!" Eleanor suddenly cried, hugging her fiercely.

"I will miss you too. But we'll write and you still have Nathan." Emma reminded her. 

Eleanor pulled back and nodded. "I do love him, you know." she said earnestly.

"I know," Emma said kindly.

"I just wish I knew what he was thinking. He treats me like a sister." Eleanor pouted.\ 

"He respects you." Emma pointed out.

"Well, I wish he wouldn't!" Eleanor declared.

Emma laughed.

"You're still young. You have time. Nathan is just cautious."

"Perhaps you could say something to him before you leave?" Eleanor asked hopefully.

"I think I can manage that." Emma agreed. 

"Wonderful!" Eleanor declared happily. "Now let's get you dressed."