Chapter. 2

Rai POV

I brush my teeth as I stare into the sink below the bathroom mirror, with an empty head usually filled with thoughts on my task. The sound of the running water underneath me got louder after I finally spit out the toothpaste into the water.

I rinsed my toothbrush and sat it in the holder, I  grab Hammy and hold her close. I opened the door, the sound of my house shoes shuffling against the hard floor. I looked to my right to see Mom's door.

Cracked open at the slightest, I peeked in looking for her and see her still sleeping.
I shifted my sleeve and looked at my watch, it read 7:16.

She was going to be late, I disliked it when such things happened. A frown was etched on my face as I quietly opened her door. She laid there soundly asleep under her covers, sleepily groaning under her breath.

I checked my watch again, 7:17.
My brows furrowed as I read and I walked over to her bed, I started to tug at her blanket in an attempt to wake her. She didn't budge so I tugged at her shirt instead, shaking her a bit.

My patience was wearing thin, pressing my hands against her back.
You can't be late I thought. Shaking her harder and groaning of discomfort and impatience.

She let out a sleepy sigh and I stopped for a moment, lifting my hands from her.

After five seconds of silence, I continued to shake her. Now the impatience churning into frustration. I grumbled as I ignored the incoming footsteps.

Third person POV

A soft yawn was heard and disregarded. Scratching his head through his messy, dirty blonde hair. Buddie trodded down the hallway to his mother's room.

He peeked through the open door, seeing his older sibling shaking her with a frown deepening. He walked over next to them, he looked down to his mother, still dormant.
"Shouldn't Mommy be going to work?" He asked, confused. The older child beside him let out an uncomfortable groan at the unwanted reminder. Buddie looked at Rai, then back at Luna.

He reached his hand to touch her "Let me help." Only to have his hand swatted away by Rai. Keeping their gaze on the sleeping woman. "Okay." He said setting his hand at his side with a sigh.

Luna was starting to shift in her slumber, mumbling something unintelligible. Buddie looked over and raised his voice. "Mommy wake up!"

Rai slightly flinched and inhaled sharply through their nose. Rai raised their hand to cover their right ear, their ferret making a thud as it hit the ground underneath.
Rai looked down and seen they had dropped it.

Rai side eyed in his direction with a glare, Buddie looked at Rai with an apologetic look, "Sorry."

The child looked back down at the stuffed animal and crouched down to grab it, hugging it close to their chest. They stood and looked at Luna, before checking their watch again. '7:19' Rai stared at the watch momentarily.

Buddie watched as Rai started to stroke the ferret as if it were real, feeling a sharp spike of guilt in his stomach. He began to shuffle in his spot, in an attempt of self comfort. His eyes started to droop down back to the sleeping adult.

He reached an arm out, whisper shouting in a way  "Wake up, Wake up!" Rai watched silently, brows scrunching together in displeasure. The woman finally started to shift awake. Rai glanced in her direction, still bearing the undertone of disturbance.

Luna's eyes began to flicker as she awoke and she arose from her blankets slowly. Rubbing the sleepiness from her eyes with her left hand, she moved strands of her curly brown hair from her face with her right.