Chapter 41 : Movement & Confession

Sakura sighed.

No changes.

The green wisps of medical chakra faded into the dark, silent hospital air as Sakura finished her evaluation. She leaned back into a standing position, stretching her spine as she looked both Naruto and Boruto over one last time before calling it a night.

No changes.

'Damn him for leaving us high and dry like this,' Sakura thought to herself as she leaned over and pulled the hospital sheets across Naruto's still body, watching as his breathing pushed them up, then down, then up again. 'But at least they're still alive.'

She moved over to Boruto's bed next, running her hand along the boy's blond-concealed forehead, frowning at how cold he was. 'For now.'

She heard the sound of rustling from behind her, and spun on her heels, before slumping forward and letting out the breath she hadn't realized she had been holding. "Hinata. You scared the daylights out of me."

The woman blinked once, then twice, sitting up from where she lay in one of the several chairs that lined the nearby wall. "Oh, did I startle you? I'm sorry."

She set aside the thin blanket that had been covering her as she stood, taking care to fold it before moving to Sakura's side.

"You gave us quite the scare earlier, you know," Sakura said, turning back to the two Uzumaki in the beds before them. "I don't think you've fainted that badly in a long time."

Hinata just 'hmm'ed, an embarrassed smile gracing her lips. "Well, can you blame me?"

Sakura smirked. "I suppose not."

They sat in comfortable silence, watching Naruto's rhythmic breathing as the machines around them beeped quietly.

Hinata leaned forward and freed her husband's hand from beneath the confines of the sheets, turning it over in her own. "Where is everyone else?"

"Lord Sixth and Shikamaru are with Ino at the ANBU headquarters, last I heard," Sakura said. "Lady Tsunade went home a couple hours ago."

Hinata nodded silently in acknowledgement.

Then, she jumped. "Wait, where's Himawari? She's not here?"

Sakura turned. "No, she's not. She's at my place right now - Sarada is watching her for the time being. I hope you don't mind."

"Oh, not at all," Hinata said. "I really appreciate it, Sakura."

The other woman just harrumphed, and batted a hand. "Oh, please. You watched her all the time when she was Hima's age. Consider us even. You don't have to worry-"

"No, not about that," Hinata interrupted, turning to her with a small smile. "Although I do appreciate that, too, now that you mention it. No, I'm talking about... everything you're doing here." She squeezed her husband's hand. "Thank you. For everything."

Naruto squeezed back.

Both women froze.

"Was... was that..." Hinata said, eyes wide. "Did he-"