Chapter 49 : Boruto Outburst

Boruto knew it was coming.

The moment he stood from the table just after his father left for his walk. The moment he began to storm his way upstairs. The moment he glanced back around to see his grandmother give him that look, and the moment he turned away to avoid it.

He'd seen it before far too often.

He sat up in his bed, watching the shadows dance underneath his door, and waited.

The thunderstorm outside grew fierce, shaking the village like a castle under siege. Lightning flickered through partially-drawn curtains, and all it served to do was give Boruto an unpleasant reminder that he was alone.

He curled his legs up towards his chest and cradled them in his arms, using his knees to rest his head and watch the rain leave streaks down the glass of the window.

Even the rain was real.

That was the heart of things, wasn't it? Boruto didn't feel like this world was real. Everything - and he meant everything felt out of place, out of sync... but then something as simple as an ordinary rainstorm would roll through and he would spend several agonizing moments in blissful ignorance forgetting just where he was.

Forgetting who he was with.

He didn't realize he had fallen asleep until he felt fingers on his forehead, brushing his hair out of his face.

Boruto leapt out of bed with his heart racing like a steam engine, and for a moment, his eyes darted around the room looking for his missing teammates.

"Whoa, whoa!"

Oh.

Right.

He wasn't with his teammates.

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean to freak you out like that, y'know."

At least his teammates didn't coddle him.

Boruto narrowed his eyes. "You're finally back?"

Naruto blinked, raised an eyebrow. "Finally? I was gone for barely an hour last night." He looked up at the clock on the wall. "It's morning already."

"Hmph," Boruto said, and he rolled himself all the way out of bed, casting aside the knot of sheets his hasty awakening had summoned up. He began to roll up his clothes into a small pile, refusing to look at his father. "When are we leaving?"

Naruto blinked again. He lowered himself down onto the edge of the mattress, and ran his hand down his pants to clear it of imaginary lint.

"Boruto."

The boy stopped packing his things, but kept his focus downwards.

"I know you're probably mad at me." A pause. "But... I don't know why."

Boruto snorted.

"I really wish you would just tell me," Naruto said, sighing. He sounded tired - like this was an afterthought for him. A necessity.