-3-

"He followed me into the bathroom after."

"No!"

"Uh huh."

Sarah and Charlie shared their break later, with Charlie, over a cup of coffee, filling her in on all the current details with Maverick. 

"What did you do? I would have have been shocked! And told him to get the hell out of there!"

"We chatted, and then I left."

"And he followed you?"

"Yup."

"Desperate much."

Charlie chuckled.  "I find him kind of endearing."

"Each to their own. I'd never get involved with someone at work - I respect people who do, that's just my personal preference. It would be too complicated."

"You sound like you're speaking from experience."

"Maybe a little."

Thankfully, Charlie didn't push her any further. 

Charlie looked thoughtful. "I guess it's like long distance: works for some people, and not others."

"True. I didn't really think of that. So what are you going to do? About him."

Charlie had a glow in her eyes.  "We'll see."

---------------------------------------------

Everyone was going to the beach, instructors and trainees alike, a break from the intensities of work and training. Most took to the shoreline in groups, laying on towels with cold drinks.  On the volleyball court, it was Tom and Slider vs. Maverick and Goose. Seemed like their rivalry extended out of the skies as well.

Sarah sat at a picnic bench with a book between the beach and court, in the middle of it all, a towel around her waist and wearing her blue one-piece swimsuit and sandals.  

"Come on Mav, just one more game! For me?" Looking up from her book she found Goose chasing Maverick who was leaving the court. 

"I'm sorry."

"You're sorry? Come on-" But his friend was gone. 

Thinking back to her  conversation with Charlie, she wondered if she had something to do with Maverick leaving.

Poor Goose looked so disappointed, all the while Tom and Slider her hooting and hollering at him, now partnerless.

"Who cares, you know? It's fine. I'll just kick both your asses." Goose positioned himself back on the court. 

"I'll join you." Sarah set down her book and strode onto the court herself, evidently surprising them all.  "I'll play."

"Really?" said Goose.

"Yeah. It's been a while, but I remember the basics - unless you guys are too intimidated to play against a lady?"

"Not at all," Tom answered with a smile.  "Game on!" He tossed the ball over the net to them.  "Your serve, Sarah."

The sun burned her feet as she scurried across the court. Goose was a good team player and a great partner. He kept saying 'good job!' or 'nice try!' even when she missed, and kept giving her high-fives. It was sweet.

Soon both teams had a good volley going, they had found a good rhythm.  Tom struck the ball  and it sailed cleanly and neatly over the net.  Sarah stepped forward, arms raised, ready for it, and, with a little jump, spiked it back over the net.