-24-

1992

"You again," Tom said as Mav stopped his bike in the Kazansky's driveway once again.

"You said I could, and I quote, 'be your wingman anytime'. Should have known what you were signing up for," Pete stated.

Tom couldn't help but smirk.  "Smart-ass."

"Hey Pete!" Sarah exited the house, helmet tucked under her arm and knee and elbow pads already on her arms and legs. 

"What's going on?" Tom asked looking between his wife and wingman. 

"Pete's teaching me how to ride a motorcycle," Sarah explained to him, beaming with excitement. 

"He's what?!"

"I'm teaching her how to ride a motorcycle," Pete repeated, really channeling that smart-ass energy.  

Tom gawked at them. "He's a bad influence!"

"Chill, Iceman," Sarah said, poking him playfully in the ribs.  "I asked him to. I'm in good hands."

"That's what I'm afraid of... Hey Mav?"

"Yes, Sir?"

"If anything happens to my wife, I'm taking you up in my jet and dropping you from the highest altitude possible."

Pete gave him a salute. "I hear you loud and clear, Ice."

"Safety first!" Sarah put on the helmet and tightened the strap beneath her chin and kissed her husband's cheek before hopping on the bike behind Pete. "Always use protection!" She winked. 

"Yeah, unlike him." Tom nodded to Pete's total lack of protection.  

Sarah laughed and wrapped her arms around Pete's waist, now poking him in the ribs. "Let's go, Maverick!"

Sarah just knew Tom would be pacing around the house, itching with worry the entire time they were gone, so she didn't want to be gone too long, but that was countered by the absolute thrill of riding a motorcycle. She didn't want it to end, and was already plotting the next time they could do this again. 

"I've got to check out of the hotel in the morning," Pete said as they pulled into the driveway, chatting after the lesson. Being the perfect gentleman he was, he offered her his hand to help her off the back of the bike. 

"Hotel? I thought you were staying with Charlie."

"Oh-" He'd let it slip.  "I-" He looked away. 

"Come stay with us," she urged. She didn't need to ask to know that the couple was clearly having a rough time. 

He cracked a small smile.  "Thanks, Sarah."

"Of course, Pete. You're always welcome here, any time."

"Would Ice say the same?" he joked.

But she was serious.  "Of course he would."

The higher Tom rose in the ranks, the more responsibility he held and the longer he could be away. This of course made sense, but Sarah also wasn't happy about it.

They had fought over it more than once. Sarah loved their house, their home, but she hated being there alone when he was gone for months at a time. She knew it was the nature of his job, but that didn't make it any easier. Nor did the more times it happened make it any easier either. 

One such time, he was gone for several months, and the date of his return kept getting pushed further and further back, only further straining their stretched connection.