-17-

"Awww!" whined Alex and his sister Eva when their mother said it was time to go home and Uncle Tom still hadn't awoken, meaning they still hadn't gotten to see him yet.

"I know you're disappointed but you know Uncle Tom is healing," Anna told them. "We'll just have to come back tomorrow." This seemed to perk them up.

There were so many photographs across the Kazansky household which Sarah thought was a wonderful idea. Many were of Tom in his pre-pilot days, with more natural golden blond hair that was longer and swept down over and across his forehead, making him appear boyish. She loved it, but his spiky hair definitely fit his 'Iceman' persona.

"I was so excited when he called saying he was bringing his girlfriend home!" Marta told her as she brought over their tea into the living room.  "He sounded so happy and excited himself that I almost forgot he was injured, my baby..."

Sarah was itching to ask her about the worry, how she dealt with it, but felt it was too personal a question, at least as of right now. Maybe later, after she had gotten to know the family better. 

She was glad to have met everyone but was exhausted herself after the travel and introductions and getting settled. So she thanked the Kazansky women and excused herself to her room - well, Tom's room, his old room - collapsed on the bed and was asleep within minutes.

When she awoke she felt more refreshed but also wouldn't mind some more time to herself. She got some reading done and was compiling a list of notes for an upcoming phone call with Jerry when there came a tap at the door. 

"Hello?"

The door opened and a bed-headed Tom peeked into the room.  "Hi, can I come in?"

"Well it is your room," she joked, and waved him in. 

He came to sit next to her on the bed, which squealed in protest at the weight of two grown adults on the teenager's bed.

"How are you feeling?" she asked him.

"Bored," he admitted.  "Honestly, I'm well-rested. If I have to pretend to be resting for another minute-"

"So you haven't been resting?" she said, mock scolding him.  "Don't make me tell your mother." 

"You wouldn't." He lay his hand across his chest in mock-offence, making her laugh.  "How are you settling in?"

"Great, I've rested too, and everyone is so wonderful and inviting.  I also love your room."

He winced a little. "It's all right."

"You have the perfect window for stargazing," she remarked.

He chuckled.  "You checked."

"I sure did. First thing. The view from my bedroom window is pretty good, but my parents got me a big telescope for a joined birthday and Bat Mitzvah gift years ago and that enhanced it. I'll have to show you sometime. Great view. A friend of mine and I used it to spy on the neighbours once."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, caught them cheating."

"Oh, yikes."

"Yeah, then it was back to strictly stargazing after that."

"So you were already interested in the stars at age twelve?"

"Oh yes, and long before that. I've always had a fascination with it all. And the first moon landing-" She trailed off for emphasis.  "I was ecstatic. Maybe I'll never make it to the moon myself, but I'll be close enough if I can stick with all this."